Chapter 12 (3)

"I guess things have been pretty quiet."

"I checked with the police this morning. They are no nearer tracing the sender."

"Oh, well. I guess that's to be expected." She frankly hadn't expected them to, not after the explanation the sergeant had given her.

Routinely Joshua ordered, "You have to tell your folks."

"No." Grace replied, adding truthfully, "I'm going back to the cottage for a week."

"Stop being so bloody stubborn Grace."

She kept her voice low, "I'm not being stubborn. Just practical. If I stayed here they'd want to know why the change of plans. I'm not going to worry them unnecessarily. There is probably nothing to worry about. Some prank or something, that's all." Lamely she added, "I can take care of myself."

"You are the most stubborn woman I have ever met." "Thank you."

"Tell them Grace." He advised flatly before issuing an ultimatum, "Either you tell them or I will."

"Blackmail again. Get over yourself."

"Tell them." Joshua thundered as exasperation finally won. Grace scowled, thought her parents would probably hear him and wondered why she was even having this conversation.

"No. I appreciate your concern, but this is really none of your business." She hissed down the phone. "And keep your voice down."

"We are engaged, remember? I'm supposed to be looking out for you. There is a raving nutcase out there."

"You're taking this whole thing too seriously. For a start we aren't really engaged, second nothing is going to happen and third you can't just bully me like this." She sizzled, hoping that no member of her family came into the hallway, because if they did, they'd know something was wrong.

"I wouldn't have to bully you if you used a bit of commonsense every once in a while. That's all I'm asking for, a bit of commonsense. If you don't tell them Grace, I will." He promised coolly.

"Threats again?" Grace held onto the temper that would have rivalled her sister's. That really would shock her parents, hearing their normally even keel daughter shriek like a shrew.

"Damn right."

He'd checked with the Police and they were no nearer to finding the culprit. They had intercepted three other letters. The person responsible obviously didn't know Grace was away, or at least didn't seem to care that she was away. His detective wasn't faring any better than the police. The man was making no progress as far as Joshua could tell.

"I'll tell them after Christmas, if they don't catch whoever it is. I don't want to ruin Christmas."

"Tell them now. And don't go back to the cottage on your own." There was silence at both ends of the phone for several seconds. Grace was battling to keep her temper in check and Joshua was waiting for her to concede. Eventually Joshua asked, "How do you fancy a week in the Bay with me?"

"What?" She snapped.
"A week with me?"
"You can't take off, Joshua."

"Are you going to argue with every thing I suggest?"

"No, of course not. But you can't just take time off like this. This should only affect me, not disrupt everyone's life."

"That's about the most moronic thing you've said."

"Fine." She hissed. "Now that that's clear, you can go jump..."

Joshua rolled his eyes, gritted his teeth and interrupted, "Steven's family have a house close to Russell. Well a bit out in the sticks actually, but it is close to Hot Water beach and it has some beautiful rough country around it, so Riah says. I could do with a week off. And now is a good time. I have a considerate boss. No-one would know where you are. You'd be safe."

He paused, waited for her to speak, and when she said nothing, added "Well?"

Grace thought about it. She wouldn't have to tell her parents about the letters, she really didn't want to worry them. She knew she was stalling, that eventually she'd have to tell them, especially if the sender wasn't caught soon or didn't stop. She could go back to the cottage, but she was, even though she was arguing with Joshua to the contrary, she was scared to be there on her own. She could always ask Amy again. But in theory they were on their honeymoon. Amy hadn't been able to get time off work so they were saving their honeymoon for the Uni vacation. "I can't...."

"For fucks sake." He snapped, then took a deep breath and added with barely concealed exasperation. "Tell your parents, because if you don't, I will. And that is a promise."

"As I was saying," Grace told him calmly, when his monologue had come to a close, "before I was so rudely interrupted," she added simply to annoy him, "I can't think of a better solution. I'll stay with mum and dad tonight. We could leave late tomorrow afternoon, if you can manage that."

He recovered quickly and ignored her pointed remark about his interruption. He wasn't giving her a chance to change her mind "I'll pick you up at four."

They spoke a while longer, making plans for the weekend and talking about the holiday. As long as she didn't spend all the time arguing with him, it would be heaven. Once in a while was fine, making up was fun, but a week of arguments would be dreadful. Grace had begun to notice that she wasn't winning as many of her arguments with him. Surprisingly it made her smile.