17

When we walked into the Great Hall, chaos reigned. 

Dumbledore was yelling at Harry, Madame Maxine was screaming at Dumbledore, and a man sitting beside her was yelling at them both. Students were whispering to each other. Some looked pissed. Others looked horrified. 

"What happened?" I asked as me, Mattheo, Nira, Didi, and Jenjen sat down. That phrase seemed to become very popular this year. "Where were you two?! Dumbledore started the choosing thing already!" Theo hissed. "We had to send the girls to come get you," Zac said. Enzo looked mad. All of them did, actually.

"We slept in," I mumbled. I knew as soon as the words left my mouth that they were the wrong ones. But before I could correct them, Madame Maxine cried, "WE CAN'T HAVE TWO CHAMPIONS FROM HOGWARTS!"

There was a moment of silence. Then, the argument resumed. I sighed. "Is anyone willing to tell me what happpened?" I asked. 

"Well, while you were gone..." Zee trailed off. "Yes, I know I was gone. For Christ's sake just tell me what happened and why Dumblewhore's yelling at my brother!" I said impatiently. "Um...Harry is one of Hogwarts' champions," Enzo said. "WHAT?!!" I yelled. "What do you mean, 'one of'?" Mattheo asked. Theo pointed to the four students standing amidst the arguing: Harry, Victor Krum, Cedric Diggory, and the blonde girl from last night.

"No. No no no HARRY JAMES POTTER GET YOUR ASS OFF THAT STAGE RIGHT NOW!" I screamed, standing up. My brother knew my voice, and turned to me.

Harry's look of dread told me that he was terrified. That gave me courage. He's my little brother. I'm not letting him die for some shitty tournament. 

I felt eyes on me as I stood there, glaring at Dumbledore now. "He's not participating in this fucking tournament," I said. "Language, Miss Potter," McGonagall scolded. I ignored her. "He's not even old enough! Either choose someone else or tell that goblet of shit that my brother isn't participating in this tournament!" I said, crossing my arms. 

"Would you like to compete for your brother?" Snape drawled. I gave him a glare. "If that's what it takes, then I will," I said firmly. Harry's eyes widened. "Cae, no," he said. I shook my head. 

"If you hadn't put your name in, this wouldn't be happening," I growled. "So, you'll compete for your brother?" Dumbledore clarified. I nodded frankly. "Got any problem about that?" I asked. "No, Miss Potter. Anything wrong with that, Madame Maxine? Professor Karkaroff?" he asked the tall woman and an annoyed man standing on either side of him. 

"But what about Diggory?" Madame Maxine asked loudly. "The goblet chose him, so he will compete as well," Dumbledore said calmly. "The goblet didn't choose her," Karkaroff said, pointing an angry finger at me. "She is choosing to compete for her brother, since he is underage," Dumbledore replied. Both Madame Maxine and Karkaroff crossed their arms like angry children. I heard Enzo stifle a laugh.

"I think that you should let Miss Potter compete," a gruff voice said. I looked up at the teachers table and see a homeless looking man standing up. "Mad-eye Moody," I heard Zee whisper. 

"Thank you! See, he's on my side!" I said, throwing a hand in Mad-eye's direction. "Well, we are not!" Theo said. I rolled my eyes. "I have to do this. I have to protect Harry," I said, turning to my friends. "Harry can take care of himself," Tom said. "I wasn't asking for your opinion!" I yelled. "Cae!" Didi scolded. "I'll talk to you later!" I said. 

Am I the only one who sees the chemistry between Didi and Tom?

"Professor Dumbledore, do you think that Caelia should compete in place for Harry?" Nira interrupted. "Well, I can see why she is doing it. She isn't much older than Harry, but she understands more than her brother," Dumbledore said. 

I winced as I saw a hurt look pass on Harry's face. But I do know more than him. 

"Well, I guess that's settled, then. Miss Potter, you will be interviewed after breakfast," Dumbledore said. "Okay," I said. 

As soon as I sat down, the reality of what I just did hit me. "Oh lord what have I done?" I groaned, slumping down onto the table. "See, that's why we tried to stop you," Theo said. "No, I had to do that. Harry's the most important. It's my job to keep him alive," I said, sighing and sitting up. I'm suddenly not hungry anymore. 

Mattheo rubbed my back. The contact made me jump in my seat. "I'll come with you to the interview. As moral support," he whispered in my ear. "Wow, am I that weak-looking to you?" I asked. "I think I know you well enough to know that you'll need support," he replied. "He's right. I honestly wish it was someone else coming with you, but he's right," Zee said. I rolled my eyes. 

Was I really that easy to read? Mattheo had only known me for about a week, and he knows what I need. 

"Aaaaaaaaaandddddddd, after that you're going on a date!" Jenjen squealed. "Jenna. Not now," Draco said. "Okaaaaaaaay. Fine. But only because I-" she began, but then she turned red and stopped herself. Me, Didi, and Nira grinned at her. Me and Didi knew that she liked Draco since second year. Nira must've read the feelings. 

"Well, I should go check on Harry," I said, standing up. "You need to eat, Cae," Tom said sternly. He surprised me with his big-brotherly attitude. "I'm fine. I'm just nervous," I said. "Well, starving yourself isn't the way to make it better. Trust me, it isn't," Tom urged. I rolled my eyes for the thousandth time today and grabbed an apple off of Mattheo's plate. I walked off before he could stop me, and I took a bite out of the apple with a Draco attitude. 

"Why didn't you tell me?" I demanded as soon as I sat down in front of Harry, between Ron and Nini. "Tell you what?" Harry asked. "That you put your fucking name in the goblet if shit!" I said, and took an aggressive bite out of the apple. 

"I didn't!" Harry protested. "Did he?" I asked Nini. "That's what he's been saying," she said. "Then why we're you picked?" I asked. "Do you think someone put his name in?" Nini asked. I froze. 

I hadn't thought of that possibility.

"Well, I'm taking your spot for you so that you won't die," I said, standing up. As I walked away, I heard Ron ask, "Why didn't you tell us?"