|18|: Calamity/وبال

He stared at his watch for the umpteenth time

He stared at his watch for the umpteenth time. His best friend was supposed to be here an hour before. But there's still no sign of him. His patience is running thin on ice. His nerves were acting up and his blood was boiling. Upstairs in the room, just a mere distance of ten steps or more was his supposed bride waiting for him and yet he's here awaiting the arrival of his friend who is also the Gawah in his Nikkah.

Subhan's temple throbbed with mild pain and he was so close to having an anger breakdown when he finally heard the roar of the engine. He cursed under his breath and followed outside spotting his best friend near his car. He walked towards him, his white kurta whooshing as the wind blows softly.

"Where were you?" He asked the man before him. Dressed in a brown kurta, Altamash was breaking hearts.

"Buying some sweets."

He flashed the bag of sweets in his direction from a famous sweets shop in Karachi. Subhan glared at him and said

"That's unnecessary." He heard only a tsk as Altamash started walking towards the house.

"It's your nikkah. I'm not going to let you be stingy, especially today."

Before Subhan could correct him of this nikkah being a deal or a mere solution to their unending problems, Altamash has already been settled while the Qazi went upstairs to ask for the bride's consent.

It's happening!

He thought. Just 72 hours before he received a call from Safa where she decided to marry him and now here they are. Getting literally married. Under the law. Islamically and legally. The idea itself was nerve wrecking. No one at home knows what he is up to. Not even his father. He regretted not having this conversation with his father, but it felt right to do this first and face the consequences later. He was always like this.

Daring.

Taking challenges and risk. This was his trait. His personality. Bold and Daring.

"Experiencing wedding jitters." He heard the smug voice of his best friend that sat on the sofa drinking something from the cup.

"Altamash if you don't stop right now, I'll really murder you."

The other man just rolled his eyes. Ignoring his threat. They heard the footsteps approaching and the Qazi entered in the room. This time to ask him.

It's happening!

He thought again as the Qazi nodded at him. He wiped his hands on his kurta. He was never nervous while taking risks. But this was not just a risk. This could be his doom or his greatest discovery.

Only time will tell.

"Subhan wald Owais Durrani, kiya apko ye nikkah, Safa wald Iqbal Aslam, haq meher,3 lakh rupee, qubool ha?"
(Subhan, son of Owais Durrani, do you take Safa, daughter of Iqbal Aslam as your bride with the Meher of Rupees 3 lakh)