|48|: Mehndi/مہندی

Safa's eyes fluttered open as the noise coming from downstairs grew stronger and louder

Safa's eyes fluttered open as the noise coming from downstairs grew stronger and louder. Adjusting to the bright sunlight, she sat up in her bed. She looked at the clock and found it close to nine. A sigh escaped her lips as she put her feet to the ground while tying her hair with a claw clip. A distant memory of her husband taking the claw clip out of her hair causing her hair to flow down her back replayed in her mind. She blushed at the memory but it turned into longing too soon as she was staying at her mother's home.

Why?

Well, her husband was true to his words. when he said he wanted to get married again. She thought of doing a small ceremony with family and friends, but its her husband she's talking about. He is not the one to set for bare minimum. He demanded functions. So today is thier Mehndi function. She was flabbergasted when he first announced about his intentions. She still remembered the way she felt seeing him come to her home with his father and grandmother. Of course, Mehreen tagged along to keep her company. Her mother and brother were a little suspicious as Narmeen didn't show up.

Safa knew her mother in law never liked her or maybe she never will. But she can't let her dislike get in the way of her happiness. She's happy with her husband. And many times, her husband proved to be the best for her. So, leaving him is definitely not an option.

Never has, never will be.

Plus, her father in law, he's a very generous and kind person. He assured her family that his wife will come around. She has hope too. After all, Narmeen Durrani might be a brick wall for the world outside, but for her children, she's just an ordinary mother. With a heart that beats solely for her kids. Right now, hope is enough.

Putting a stop to her thoughts, she went inside the washroom and came out dressed in a peach coloured kurti with white pants. Her peach dupatta lay on her shoulders as she took the stair to go down. The smell of her Ammi's cooking consumed her nostrils and her feet took her to the kitchen on their own accord. There stood her mother making her breakfast.

"Arey aou Safa. Nashta karlo".
(Come Safa, have your breakfast)

Plopping down on the sofa in the living room, Safa watched as her mother fussed over her. She was continuously asking if she was fine or feeling any kind of pain. It's been six days since she left the awful hospital room and she's getting along fine. She hasn't felt any pain in the last few days. But still her mother's heart wasn't at peace.

"I'm fine, Ammi. Come sit with me."

She put a stop to her mother's rapid fire questions and made her sit beside her. Taking a morsel of paratha, Safa moaned in delight. It's been so long since she's eaten her mother's hand cooked food. A distant memory washed over her and she suddenly felt sad.

"What happened?" Her mother's question laden with concern reached her eardrums. Shaking her head, she told her mother about the kind lady that's like a second mother to her