|33|: Fear/خوف

The morning hues casted a yellow haze onto the floor as little light seeped from the closed curtains. Subhan's slumber broke as the birds chirped loudly. Squinting his eyes open, his hand almost on its own accord traced the left side of the bed. Frowning he turned around to find it empty and cold. Glancing at the clock, he found it close to eight.

Where is she?

Thought he. Getting up and running a hand through his hair, he figured she woke up early because of the cold sheets. Making his way inside the bathroom, he did his business before getting a nice warm shower. He changed into his black pants and shirt and draped a grey blazer over his shoulders. Stepping out of the room, he reached down the stairs in the kitchen.

She must be here.

His steps faltered when he find only his Chachi and cousin there. No sign of his beloved wife.

"Asalamoaliukm Bhai." Mehreen chirped as always upon seeing her brother.

"Walaikum asalam." He muttered lightly. He filled a glass of water and took a huge gulp. His Chachi was passing him looks that him asking

"Have any of you seen Safa?"

"Aww. So cute. You miss her first thing in the morning."

His ears caught a tiny tint of red and he rubbed his neck while glaring hard at his cheeky cousin.

"Shut up, you wild cat." Bahar laughed at the two who were bickering like kids.

"She's on the rooftop." He passed a smile to his Chachi and walked to Mehreen. He stole one her chocolate cookie and muttered

"Chachi loves me a lot."

She darted her tongue out at him while he left the kitchen with a smile upon his face. He climbed two stairs at a time. Opening the door of the rooftop, he found his wife sitting at the centre while the pigeons surrounded her. It was a sight to behold. Her hair were in loose half up do. The sage coloured suit gave her an angelic look.

"So you ran to here."

She turned her head and smiled at him. His heart skipped a beat. This was all getting too normal now. Him not liking when she's not with him. These erratic heart beats. How her smile lights his entire day up like she's everything he wanted. Needed.

"I woke up early and decided to come here. It's warm and sunny today."

Saying that she stood up and stand behind the railing while her head was drifted up in the sky. The yellowish sun rays were casting a halo around her. Her brown eyes were resembling pools of honey. Her cheeks were coloured pink, providing her with the beauty of a young girl.

He slowly walked to her and stood inches beside her. Putting a hand up in the sky, he protected her face from the direct sunlight. The gesture has her turning her head toward him. They were very close. Their noses were touching.

"So tell me, Mr. Durrani, did you miss me first thing in the morning?"

A smirk came upon his lips as he noticed her cheeky nature. Pushing a tendril behind her ear, he said

"Maybe." She passed him a coy smile and said

"You need to be sure about that. It doesn't work otherwise." He chuckled that has her lowering her eyes. He instantly knew she was being shy.

"I see you're flirting." A gasp of horror escaped her lips and she muttered

"No its not like that." He chuckled at her flabbergasted state and said

"Relax Pheonix. It's okay to flirt with your husband." He wriggled his brows at her and she pushed him away. He laughed while she turned her back and took a deep breath. He just stood there basking in her presence. Like stealing some of her sunshine.