33

As I make my way to school, the morning sun kisses my face. I run a hand through my hair, as a warm smile curves around my lips. After opening up to Luka last night, I cannot wait to see him today. 

I stop in front of the school, as excitement forms in the pit of my stomach. Perhaps, he's already in the music room? "Speaking of pathetic, there she is," a familiar voice comes from the stairs. I look in that direction, as Chloe, Lila, Sabrina, and Alya stand there. They snicker amongst themselves, as I roll my eyes in annoyance. Honestly, at this point in time, it doesn't even matter what they say anymore. 

"How cowardly," another voice states from the other side of the stairs. I peer in that direction, as Elias, Tazia, and Kagami stand there. Elias, who made that comment, takes a step towards them, as a devilish smirk forms on his lips. 

As he continues to stare them down, Tazia and Kagami approach me, with warm looks on their faces. "They're not even worth your time," the brown-haired female states, shooting them a glare through the corners of her eyes. "You're a lot stronger than them, Marinette, and they know it. Why else would they have to resort to talking crap behind your back?" 

"I agree." Kagami nods in my direction. "Because of everything that happened yesterday, they don't have the guts to face you. In other words, this is one of the only tactics they have left, so don't even worry about their petty attempts to make you feel bad about yourself." 

I stare at them in amazement, as a bright smile forms on my lips. Not only did Elias call them out on it, but Kagami and Tazia went to support me right away. They're being extremely supportive! "Thank you so much," I say softly. "They're not worth it." 

"That's the right mindset!" Tazia declares, shooting me a toothy grin. "Alright, let's get to class." She then takes my hand and starts to lead me up the stairs, with Kagami following right behind us. "Elias, come on. We don't want to be late," she adds, as the said male nods and hurries to catch up with us. 

As we enter the school, I walk alongside Tazia and Elias, who have serious yet genuine expressions on their faces. "Marinette, I don't get it," Elias points out, crossing his arms and eyeing me carefully. "If you don't like being treated that way, then why do you put up with it? Why don't you stand up for yourself or say something?" 

"I..." 

Tazia shoots him a glare. "Elias, that's enough." 

"No, that's a good question," I admit, pursing my lips in concentration. "I don't want to cause any unnecessary drama." I heave a sigh and lower my head. "Perhaps, if I ignore them, then they will get bored and stop."

"Tch. That's so annoying," Elias states, as I shift nervously. "You can't always wait until the situation gets better. Sometimes, the best thing for yourself is getting away from a bad situation and looking out for yourself." 

"But they're my classmates! I can't...!" 

"You have the option to change classes," he says abruptly, as I stare at him with wide eyes. "You have to get approval from Mr. Damocles and a signature from one of your parents, but it's a fairly easy process." 

"Really?" 

"What did I say? It is." 

"Oh my gosh! I would love that!" 

"Since you're the one who mentioned it, Elias, you should be the one to take her," Tazia states, as an amused smirk curves around her lips. "As long as you're meeting with the principal, I don't think Mrs. Matisse would hold that against you." 

"If you want, we will tell her what you are doing," Kagami interjects, as Elias huffs in annoyance. Tazia runs a hand through her hair and puts a hand on her hip, as he eyes them carefully and nods in response. 

"Alright, Marinette. Let's go." 

And with that, he starts to lead the way to Mr. Damocles's office. As I follow behind him, an uneasy feeling forms in the pit of my stomach. What if he says no? Perhaps, something has changed, and we're no longer allowed to switch classes? What if he asks questions and gets suspicious? 

"We're here." 

I jump in surprise and stare at the door, as my heart hammers within my chest. Is there an easier way to do this? What if I shoot him an email? Could that work? Maybe, I could hold off until the end of the year and wait until things get better? 

Before I have time to react, Elias knocks on the door, which snaps me out of my thoughts. "Come in!" Mr. Damocles declares, as I scrunch my brows in concern. I slowly open the door, with Elias following behind me. 

"Uhhh, hey..." 

"Marinette, Elias, what are you doing here?" 

"I, uh..." I began, feeling his curious gaze. "I made some new friends in another class and was wondering if I could switch!" Mr. Damocles raises his eyebrows in astonishment. "Are we allowed to do that...?" 

"She wants to join Mrs. Matisse's class, which is the exact same grade level as her current class," Elias points out, intently staring at the principal. "We're basically learning the same information, aren't we?"

"Fair point. Is this really what you want to do, Marinette?" 

I nod in response. "Yes! Of course!" 

"If that's the case, then I have no reason to object," he says, before taking out some papers from his desk drawers. "Fill this out with your parents and return it to me as soon as possible. Once we put it into the system, it will be official." 

He extends his hands, as I take the papers. I stare at them in astonishment, as excitement forms in the pit of my stomach. If anything, I'm looking forward to sharing a class with my new friends. As we leave Mr. Damocles's office, a newfound relief washes over me. I can't believe I did that! Even so, what Elias said earlier was right. I won't let them push me around anymore, and I'll start living for myself.