19

Panic forms in the pit of my stomach, as I slowly inhale and exhale. There was no doubt that I was nervous. I witnessed everyone else perform, and they were really good. How am I any different from anybody else? Sure, I am Ladybug, but that wouldn't mean much in a competition like this.

"So, Marinette, what will you be doing for us?" Nadja asks, as I force a smile, spotting Adrien in the crowd. Once he notices me, his emerald eyes seem to sparkle, as my heart flutters within my chest.

"I'm singing Enchanted," I say, as a smile curves around Nadja's lips. I close my eyes and exhale sharply, hearing Nadja's footsteps as she leaves the stage. Although I feel very nervous, I'm still going to give this my best shot. If anything, I'm ready to show how I truly feel. Here I go!

By the time I was finished singing, the crowd was going wild. The audience was standing up and cheering, while the judges were clapping their hands. "Okay, judges!" Nadja states, making her way onto the stage. "What are your thoughts?" I anxiously glance at the three judges, hoping for the best.

"You're so cool, Marinette!" Jagged Stone proclaims, slamming his hands on the table before him. "First, you design my album cover! Second, you can sing really well! That's rock n' roll! I'm giving you a ten!"

My face lights up. "Thank you so much!"

"Marinette, you surprised me," my dad states, staring at me in astonishment. "I never knew you could sing that well. I don't want to embarrass you, but I do want to say how proud I am of you. I'll also give you a ten."

I grin. "Thank you, dad!"

"I'll give you a 9.5," Gabriel Agreste says, eyeing me carefully. "Your performance was outstanding. Good job, Marinette." I run a hand through my hair, as a small smile forms on my lips.

"Thank you."

"Alright, let's have all fifteen acts on the stage," Nadja states, as everyone returns to the stage. Luka stands to my left, as I look at him through the corners of my eyes. "The winner of the talent show is Luka Couffaine!" She declares, as the said male approaches her. "We should like to thank you all for coming out tonight!"

Nadja hands him the envelope, before he turns around. His gaze immediately meets mine, as he starts to approach me. "Hello, my name is Luka," he says with a warm smile. "You're Marinette, right?"

"Y-Yes..."

"You sounded fantastic up there."

"T-Thank you so much!" I choke out, nervously scratching the back of my head. "You were really good! Your performance seemed to move everyone!" Luka chuckles to himself, as his face seems to soften.

"Thanks, but honestly, I think you should've won," he admits, as I raise my eyebrows in astonishment. "I think you should have this." He holds out the envelope, as I stare at it in surprise. Even if he thinks that I should've won, why would he hand this over? Why does he think I should've won instead of him? In my opinion, the judges were right with him winning the competition.

"No. You earned it fair and square."

"Are you sure?"

I nod lightly. "Yes."

Before either one of us could say another word, Adrien appears beside me. "Hey, Marinette!" He calls, as I look over my shoulder at him. "Can I talk to you for a moment? I mean, if you don't mind."

"Sure thing," Luka says in a casual tone, shrugging his shoulders. "I'll see you again, Marinette!" He waves in my direction, before walking away. I turn to stare at Adrien, as he looks at me with his gorgeous, emerald eyes. "Is everything alright, Adrien?" I ask worriedly.

He frowns. "Who was that?"

"Oh! That was Luka!"

"What did he want?"

I shift nervously. Why does he care so much? "He wanted to compliment me on my performance," I say earnestly, as Adrien purses his lips. "He also tried to give me the reward he earned for winning the competition."

"I see..."

"So, what did you want to talk about?"

"I..."

Before he could say another word, Mr. Agreste and his assistant make their way towards us. "Adrien, it's time for us to go," his dad states, as Adrien looks longingly in my direction. My heart tightens, as he slowly turns away and leaves with them. If only.