37

My eyes flutter open, as sunlight peeks into my bedroom. I slowly get to my feet and stretch my arms, as a warm smile curves around my lips. Today is going to be a great day! If anything, I'm looking forward to talking to Master Fu and changing classes. 

I enter the bathroom and brush my teeth, before taking off my pajamas. I throw them into the dirty clothes basket and put on some perfume and deodorant, before changing into the red crop top, jeans, and black converse. I reenter my bathroom and start to brush through my hair, as a confident grin forms on my lips. 

I pause for a moment and intently stare at myself in the mirror, wondering what I should do with my hair. Perhaps, I should braid it or put it into a ponytail? "Marinette, you just got a text from Luka!" Tikki declares, as I look over my shoulder at her. "He's on the way!"

"Crap!" I exclaim, before frantically taking my makeup out of my drawers. "Oh my gosh! Tikki, what should I do with my hair and makeup!? I want to make a good impression on my new classmates!" 

"Marinette, you need to calm down," states Tikki, who shoots me a warm smile. "Your hair is naturally pretty, so you don't need to worry about doing anything too crazy." She furrows her eyebrows in concentration. "As for makeup, just go natural." 

"Good idea." 

I then put on some foundation and powder, as an uneasy feeling forms in the pit of my stomach. I don't think I'm going to finish before Luka arrives! "Tikki, Kaalki, please grab my backpack and purse," I say in a nervous yet serious tone. "If you want to bring any snacks, they're right next to my laptop." 

"Alright. We're on it!" 

I nod in their direction and start to apply bronzer, blush, and highlighter, as a casual grin forms on my lips. So far, so good. "Marinette, Luka just texted," Kaalki points out, as my eyes flash dangerously. "He's here."

"Oh no! He's going to think I'm so disorganized!" 

"Marinette, calm down," Tikki states, before filling up my purse with snacks. "Just tell us what to say, and we'll text him." I shoot her a thankful look and nod in approval, as a wave of relief washes over me. Thank goodness for their help! 

"Tell him that I should be a few minutes, and he can feel free to wait inside," I instruct. Kaalki shoots me a wide grin and opens my phone, before texting him. I grab my mascara and apply it to my eyes, before putting on some light pink lipstick. 

I stare at myself in the mirror and nod in approval, before turning off the bathroom light and shutting the door behind me. As I grab my purse, Tikki and Kaalki hurriedly fly into it. I then pick up my backpack and fling it over my shoulder, before turning off the light and shutting the door. 

As I head down the stairs, my mom's voice echoes through the kitchen. She's talking to someone! Perhaps, she's on the phone? "I know it was very last minute, but I'm so proud of Marinette for getting this opportunity," my mom admits, as a warm smile curves around my lips. "She's always wanted to be a fashion designer, but when she sang at the talent show, I think that's when she fell in love with performing." 

"I don't blame her," Luka's warm yet calm voice fills the room. "Music is very addicting. It really has a way to speak to your soul. Besides, it's not everyday when you get the opportunity to sing with Jagged Stone." I peer around the wall, as a genuine expression appears on his face. "When I first heard her perform at the talent show, I was amazed. She's extremely talented." 

My cheeks flush in embarrassment, as I bury my face into my palms. Luka is complimenting me in front of my mom! My heart flutters within my chest, as a newfound excitement forms in the pit of my stomach. Okay, this needs to stop, I think to myself. I can't let myself catch feelings!

Before I could realize what's happening, my foot misses the next step, and I'm falling down the stairs. Where did I go wrong!? As I land on the ground, I groan in annoyance and slowly get to my feet. 

Luka quickly gets to his feet and hurries towards me, as a worried expression appears on his face. "Marinette, are you okay!?" He questions in a serious tone, before checking for bruising and then tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. 

"Y-Yeah...! I-I'm fine!" 

"That's good." 

"Marinette, are the two of you going to stay for breakfast?" My mom questions, looking over her shoulder at me. "If not, then I can give you food for the road." I exchange a glance with Luka, as a warm yet genuine expression appears on his face. 

I scrunch my brows. "We really need to get going." 

"Thank you so much for your hospitality, Mrs. Cheng," Luka says politely, as a soft yet kind smile appears on my mom's lips. She meets my gaze and nods in approval, as my eyes widen in surprise. Did she just accept him? 

"Alright." My mom hands us some croissants. "I hope you have a wonderful day." She takes a few steps towards us. "I love you, Marinette." She then engulfs me in a hug, as I wrap my arms around her. 

After that, we leave my parents' bakery and start to walk through the streets of Paris. I look over my shoulder at Luka, who appears to be deep in thought. "What are you thinking about?" I question, tilting my head to the side. 

"You're going to think I'm crazy." 

I arch a brow. "Try me." 

"Okay." He heaves a sigh and meets my gaze. "You know how every miraculous has their own special ability, right?" I nod slowly. Where is he going with this? "I know it sounds crazy, but what if we could draw more power out of the miraculous?" 

"What do you mean?" 

"For instance, you transform into a ladybug-themed hero," he explains, as I purse my lips in concentration. "What if you had the ability to fly?" I raise my eyebrows in astonishment. "Sorry. It probably sounds crazy." 

"Not at all." I shoot him a warm smile. "It surprised me at first, but there's always a possibility." I put my hand on his shoulder. "You never know with the miraculouses. There's so much that we don't know." 

Before he could say anything else, we arrive at the guardian's house. I stare at it with wide eyes, as my heart hammers within my chest. "Is this it?" Luka questions, as I nod in response. If anything, I cannot help but feel nervous about meeting with the guardian. I wonder if he'll have a plan to become stronger. Perhaps, he will say something about Luka knowing that I'm Ladybug? As we approach the door, I peer at Luka through the corners of my eyes. It doesn't matter what happens; we have to do this.