This Girl, unluck (2/2)

It was past two in the afternoon and the sun wasn't as strong in the skies as before, which made the journey more peaceful for the pair as Y/N walked alongside Megumi down the silent dirt road leading to the next town. The long and lonely walk seemed to echo the emotional distance between them.

Seriously the whole journey was long to their final destination and the silence that hung in the air was something that bothered Gojo deeply, but as much as she hated to admit it, she couldn't find the words to break the silence and start a conversation. It was obvious that Megumi had no intention of being receptive to her right now.

Taking a deep breath, Y/N shifted her gaze to the landscape around them, searching for some point of contact between them. However, before she could attempt to break the silence, a faint buzzing sound followed by a soft, familiar melody echoed from her pocket, interrupting the serene atmosphere.

While fiddling with the pockets of her uniform pants she hummed along with the melody, pulling out the device that emitted the sound, Y/N the opener and pressing it on the call receiver.

"Hii!"

"Gojo," Mei Mei's silky voice is heard on the other side of the call. "We need you to return to the Jujutsu school immediately. That boy's cursed spirit is causing a huge mess during the event and you are the most qualified to solve it."

"Got it, I'll be on my way. But what happened this time?" the sorceress hums, balancing the device on one of her shoulders, listening to her colleague's explanation. "Megumi is here with me though."

On the other side Mei Mei let out a sigh, replying, "Y/N, I'd love to earn money by being his temporary babysitter, but I'm to far away to help. Don't worry about that. He can handle a bit of solitude for a while. The situation here is more urgent. Come as soon as you can or else the teachers and Principal Gakuganji will find out and be forced to interfere."

"All right, Mei. I'll hurry." replied Y/N before hanging up the call. Getting Principal Gakuganji involved meant having other problems with her superiors again and just being in the presence of those rats stressed her out. Putting the device away quickly. she decides to summon one of her shikigami. "Satoru."

A small white cat emerges from her shadow and quickly jumps into the arms of the brunette boy, who continued to stare silently at the horizon.

"How long?" the little boy murmurs, finally making eye contact with the woman.

Gojo smiles weakly when she sees him shift his attention to the cat that nested in his arms. "Less than 8 minutes." And just like that she disappears into thin air, ready to solve the small technical problem on their journey.

. *     ✦ .  ⁺   .⁺    ˚

As promised, within 8 minutes Gojo was already back at young Fushiguro's side, the boy hadn't moved more than a few meters forward from his original spot, probably being guided by her Shikigami to not stay in front of the sun for too long. Even though no words were exchanged between the pair, she saw a slight glint of gratitude and relief in his eyes when he saw her coming.

It was... hard to deny that sign. Even if they weren't on good terms, this was perhaps the start of something. Maybe it was too soon, her mind said, yet the woman decides to try again for a rapprochement.

Without saying anything, Y/N extended her hand to Megumi and offered a warm smile. He looked at it for a moment, his big blue eyes showing surprise and uncertainty, and the sorceress watched him gently squeeze the cat in his arms.