The Search

(Jasons POV)

"I can't believe we're actually doing this," I grumbled to myself, sitting next to Luis in the back seat of Austen's Jeep.

No one paid attention to me, which was frustrating. I mean come on, why the hell should we trust Dean's "senses". Wouldn't calling the police be more logical? Practical?

I glance at the back of Dean's head, who was sitting in the front seat next to Austen. The sanest thing to do was to call the cops. Period.

"What if we're over-reacting?" I told them, not for the first time since we've jumped in the jeep half an hour ago. "What if they're still at the beach..."

"You said it yourself," Luis interupted, "Angela's friends couldn't find her. We couldn't find Fay either."

"But..."

Luis turned his gaze to me. "Jason, we found Fay's ring in the woods. Shouldn't that be proof enough that something bad happened?"

I looked away. I knew he was right, knew it in my gutt that something happened to Angela and Fay. I closed my eyes, trying to block the image of Angela's heart broken face when I cruely dumped her. Then Fay's face loomed in my mind with her spunky "don't-go-there" attitude.

If anything happened to these girls...none of us would be the same. They'll leave a scar on each of us.

I glanced up and looked around us. "Hey, is it me or does this place look familiar?" We've been cruising around for over half an hour now, with Dean instructing Austen to make turns. Right, left, straight...right, left...it seemed endless. Dean claimed that he was taking us in the exact direction as the person who took Fay and Angela.

Of course I had been skeptical. I wasn't one to believe in Voodoo or Karma, much less Dean's "senses".

"It should be," Dean said from the front, "I don't need to tell Austen where to go anymore...he knows."

I frowned. "What?"

Austen's hands tightend on the stearing wheel. You could tell that this situation was taking its toll on him. He was stiff and tense, as if any moment he would attack with the rage thats been building ever since he discovered that Fay was missing. That she could be in possible danger.

Austen didn't have to answer because the car came to a stop. I looked out and blinked dumbly with realization. No wonder the area looked familiar. Though we had taken a different route to get here there was no mistaking that the building in front of us was our school.

Luis cursed from beside me. "Are you serious? The school? They're at the school?"

Austen jumped out the jeep, leaving his keys in the engnition not bothering to even take it out. We followed his example, stepping out and facing the school. I grabbed his keys from the egnition. No sense on leaving it there where anyone can take it and run off with his jeep.

"They're here," Dean said ominously. "But I don't sense them inside the building."

I rolled my eyes. "You don't sense them? Then where else can they be? You're the one who took us here."

"Jason," Luis shot me a warning glance, a universal glare for 'shut the fuck up.'

"I'm serious," I shook my head, "If we could have called the police when we had the chance and got the girls sooner instead of following these feelings of his...''

"Jason," Austen practically growled. "Shut up."

"Look, man," Luis turned to me, "I know you're worried about them, we all are. But we trust Dean."

I didn't reply.

"Where do you think they are?" Austen asked Dean without looking at him. Instead his eyes were scanning our surrounding, as if expecting an attack.

"I know they're here," Dean frowned, brows furrowed. "But not in the building."

"Where then?" Luis stepped next to him. "Maybe we should look around."

"Wait," I squinted my eyes. There was an outline of someone coming towards us. "Who's that?"

We all seemed to tense, waiting for the figure to come close enough so we could tell who it was.

Luis cursed again. "What the hell is she doing here?"

I frowned. I recognized who it was. Amber Anderson, a girl who always seemed glued to Austen now-a-days. Good question, what was she doing here? Had she followed us? I frowned at the thought.

"Austen!" Amber threw herself at Austen, wrapping her skinny arms around his waist. " I found you!"

Austen looked grim. "What are you doing here?"

Amber pouted. "What do you mean?" She glanced at the rest of us, eyeing the keys in my hand. "I followed you guys. I mean gosh, you guys just up and left without warning."

"Amber..." Austen began but she continued to ramble.

"I noticed you guys sneaking off, so I followed Jason's car here."

We all looked at one another, frowning.

"We didn't see you behind us," Luis told her.

Amber's pout grew. "I got lost than I realized where you guys were going so I took another route. Good thing I was right."

I looked at her, thoughtfull. I could swear I didn't notice her following us...

"Oh right," Luis was saying, "you saw us jumping into Jason's car and so you followed."

"Right," Amber shot us a wide smile. "Exactly."

We glanced at one another again. We all knew that I hadn't been the one driving...and it hadn't been my car we took. Amber knew what my car looked like and what Austens car looked like...Something was off about her explaination, as if she had just made it up on the spot.

Luis opened his mouth, maybe to bust her on her obvious lie when a gun shot rang. Instinctively, we all ducked and looked around frantically.

"Where the hell did that come from!" Luis shouted. It didn't sound like a normal shot.

We all looked down and realized that we've been standing next to a man hole where the school's sewage was connected to. Or maybe connected to something else...

We looked up at the same time, and focused on Dean's ashen face. He looked up at us, eyes grave.

"They're down there.''

-----------

Cookie: Hallo again. :)

Pic is of Jessica Alba who plays Amber Anderson, miss clingy.

Song is by Evanescence "Tourniquet"