Our First Valentine

POV: Saiki Kusuo

Toritsuka Reita: So, Saiki...

Reita has been looking at me with envy and hatred while his eyes almost had veins popping out.

TR: Do you know what day it is?

S: It's Monday

TR: Well it is a Monday, wait no it's not just any Monday!

TR: It's Valentine's Day!

S: I am aware

TR: Pretend all you want, but I know you're going to get chocolate from your girlfriend.

I guess I will. But I still won't say anything.

TR: It must be sooo great to have a girlfriend huh.

He looks more infuriated than before.

S: You're not helping yourself any better if you keep dwelling on that lie.

TR: It's not a lie! I will find out about your girlfriend!

S: Good luck.

The school had a usual atmosphere when it comes to Valentine's Day. Girls either boldly finding the ones to give chocolate to or they're too shy. And guys that would either feel delighted or dejected at the end of the day. I wonder if Teruhashi even brought any today.

The mood changed drastically when Teruhashi entered the room. A flock of guys rushed to her and asked if she brought any chocolates. The only response she gave was,

T: Sorry, but I already gave mine away.

The crowd froze in shock and one of them asked who she gave it to. Teruhashi puts a finger on her lips.

T:
That's a secret.

The reactions were mixed. Some of them were down that the chocolates were already given away, while some has some intent to find the culprit. Good thing he doesn't exist.
Surprisingly, we haven't interacted the whole day even if it's Valentine's Day. One of us is too popular to give out chocolates, and I don't even need to tell you how I feel about it.

When the school day ended, we walked to my house as usual. It's about time she talks to me about the chocolates.

T: Saiki,

S: Hm?

T: Did you get any chocolates today? 

S: I only got one from Mikoto-san.

T: Did you eat it?

S: I did.

I'm pretty sure I made her jealous.

S: She wouldn't leave me alone if I didn't accept it, so I didn't have much of a choice. And I didn't want to waste the chocolate either.

T: I see...

Even if I give infinitely more reasons, she wouldn't feel better. Sorry Teruhashi, Looks like I have to use my powers for this.

S:
I did get your chocolates last Valentine's Day.

She stopped where she stood and her silent streak broke.

T: What?!

She thought I was lying.

T: What did it look like?

S: A brown box with golden lines, in a clear plastic bag. And I remember getting it from an upstairs window. It also looks like the one you have in your bag.

Now she's too embarrassed to say anything.

T: I thought...you didn't get it last time, so I assumed that it's okay to give the same one.

Looks like she doesn't even want to give the chocolates now cause she's embarrassed.

S: Like I said,

I grabbed the chocolates from her bag.

S: I wouldn't want these chocolates to go to waste. But now there's also a price.

I held her hand and got closer to her.

T: Saiki?

S: To celebrate our first Valentine's, what if from now on, we call each other by our given name. Always. Can you do that for me, Kokomi?

She blushed red and refused to look at me. I can almost see steam coming out of her.

T: okay...

S: Try it.

She finally mustered up the courage to say it to my face.

T: Alright, Kusuo.

We both smiled at each other as the day ends