Cafe Revelation

POV: Saiki Kusuo

We were at the usual cafe we usually spend time in. The cafe is always empty with an exception of one or two people that drop by. I specifically come here with Kokomi when Mera Chisato is off shift, to keep the relationship secret.

Manager: Mera-san?!

Of course.

Mera Chisato: Please let me work a shift today! I can't keep on living on grass this week!

As usual, her financial situation is horrible.

Ma: Alright, alright.

Mera: Thank you!

Kokomi started panicking,

T: What do we do, Kusuo?!

I just continued eating my coffee jelly.

S: I don't think we can do much at this point.

T: What do you mean?!

S: We can't get out of this situation without Mera-san finding out.

T: Can't you use your powers?

S: We're the only usual customers in the cafe. We can't just disappear without confusing the manager. Plus, the manager is right at the door.

T: Then what do we do?

S: Tell her the truth.

T: Now?!

S: It's been 6 months. Any longer then we would have expose our relationship eventually.

She paused in doubt but decided to trust me.

T: Well, if you say so.

It was about time that Mera-san approached our table.

Mera Chisato: Oh, Saiki-san, I haven't seen you in the cafe for a while-

 M: Teruhashi-san?

T: Oh, It's nice to see you, Mera-san.

M: What are you doing here with Saiki-san?

T: Uhm, actually,

She glances at me for confirmation, but I didn't respond. I don't mind her decision, so it's up to her whether to tell Mera-san the truth or not.

She paused to decide what to say.

T: Saiki and I...

I looked to her in curiosity.

T: Are dating!

She slightly shouted to bring her courage out.

...

The cafe turned more quiet than it usually was.

I was slightly surprised that Kokomi pulled through.

M: REALLY?! How long have you guys dated?!

...

S: *You already told her, might as well tell her everything.*

T: Six months.

M: SIX MONTHS?! Wait wait wait, why are you telling me this?

T: I didn't want to lie to you, since you're a close friend.

M: Teruhashi-san.

Now she's blushing. And I thought I'm the one with superpowers.

She broke from the Teruhashi trance and started worrying.

M: Am I the only one who knows about it?

T: Aside from our family, yes.

A metaphorical 10 ton weight dropped on her shoulders and she fell to the ground on her knees.

T: Mera-san?!

M: Sorry...but I'm starting to realize how much pressure this is.

T: Why?

M: Of course it's a lot of pressure! You're the most popular girl in the school! What would happen if I accidentally let it out?! It would cause panic! There's also the fact that I'm the only person that knows!

Kokomi started to panic seeing Mera going through this level of despair.

S: *Never knew the secret can be a curse.*

My underhanded comment made Kokomi glare at me.

I sighed, took one more bite of my coffee jelly, and gave a few suggestions.

S: You know I can erase memories, right?

Usually, she would straight up not allow it. But she actually gave it some thought this time.

T: Mera-san,

M: Yes?

Mera looks up to her with teary eyes.

T: Are you going to be okay being the only person to know?

She looks back down to the floor, contemplating.

M: I'll try my best!

She smiled in response and pats Mera's head.

T: Thank you, Mera-san.

That one head pat put a big dumb smile on Mera's face. Her charisma is just unnatural.

The next school day,

Mera looks worse than before. Not worse as in she hasn't eaten well, which is usually the the case, but a burden that'll haunt her forever, which is fairly accurate.

Every time our classmates ask in concern, she brushes them off just by saying,

M: It's nothing, I just haven't eaten this entire week.

Knowing her, not only does it make sense, but some of them even give her food out of sympathy. It does make her feel better.

Kokomi turned to me in concern, and I simply reminded her of the memory erase.

She immersed herself in her thoughts and decided to confront Mera once more.

T: Mera-san,

M: Yes?!

Mera's anxiety is spilling out of her stiff stature. I can feel it as I'm watching the conversation from the end of the school hallway.

T: Are you sure you're okay with this?

Kokomi's concerned look gave Mera the confidence to continue the conversation.

After a few seconds of inner conflict, she put on a confident face and answered.

M: Yes!

T: Are you sure?

M: If I'm the only one who knows about secret, then I need to try my hardest to keep it! It's hard at first, but I'll do my best!

Kokomi's surprised look turned into a smile of relief.

T: Thank you, Mera-san.

Her smile was a ray of light for Mera and brightened her up.

M: Yes! I'll try my best!

Good grief. At least something good happened this time.