19. It was a Bad Idea

"Lila is out cold, the boys too." Aelsa remarked, her brain was both wired and exhausted. Larys sat on the sofa and Aelsa joined him laying her head in his lap. He stroked her hair, long blonde waves tangled through his fingers. The kids had piled into their bed leaving no room for Larys and Aelsa. But she wanted them close after everything that happened. 

"You alright Aelsa?" Larys questioned. 

"It wasnt I that was attacked." Aelsa reminded him. 

"You are close with the princes." Larys countered. 

"I worry for Aemond, he is a good boy. He got a dragon, Vhagar, they were fighting over the dragon claim." Aelsa reminded him. "I dont know much about dragons but aemond didnt even seem to mind that he lost an eye, he got something he has wanted for ages..."

"Everything is changing." Larys remarked. 

"Lets hope after this the change is for the better." 

''The... are you hand again?" Criston questioned.

"Co master of coin with Lady Aelsa's eldest son, Ollivander." Otto corrected.

"The co master of coin, Your Grace.'' Criston introduced pushing the door open.

''Say your peace.'' Alicent muttered

''Now, what peace is that?'' Otto questioned.

'I've conducted myself in a manner... unbefitting my station. Or any other. I lost composure... assaulted the Princess. Already the word is spreading, the gossip speculating that I've gone mad.' Alicent remarked through a sob.

''All true.'' Otto agreed

''I disgraced myself. And ensured my husband's favor will forever rest on her.'' Alicent said with a sneer.

''And yet... I've never seen that side of you, my daughter. I even doubted its existence.''

''It was an ugly thing. I regret it.''

''We play an ugly game. And now, for the first time, I see that you have the determination to win it.''

''Rhaenyra..'' Alicent began.

''You see her for what she is.'' Otto told her.

''What the King's stubbornness has wrought. What will he say to me?'' Alicent said miserably.

''He'll forgive you. What else can he do? Now go to him, be penitent, plead the injury to your son. Keep a grip on your passions. And I promise you, in time, you and I together will prevail.''

''What that rogue Aemond has done in winning Vhagar to our side.''

''The boy was right. It's worth a thousand times the price he paid.'' Otto agreed.

"Got Mr Lion?" Aelsa questioned as they loaded up the ship. 

"YEP!"

"Leo too?" Ollivander questioned. 

"Ye- NO!" Lila shouted. Ollivander held the leopard out before Lila ran back to the castle. "You stole him!"

"I rescued him from the room, sleepy head." Ollivander corrected. She grabbed Leo and smiled up at her big brother. 

"Thanks Olli!" Lila jumped up pressing a kiss to his cheek. 

"Alright, one, two, three, Larys and we are all set." Aelsa remarked counting the children. "Lets get the fuck out of driftmark."

''I've asked them to have wine ready for you on the ship. To help you sleep." Alicent remarked putting a blanket over Viserys he groaned in pain ''I'm so sorry. Viserys...'

''We will speak no more of it.'

" can we speak privately?" Otto asked. Aelsa looked around the ship. " as privately, is being on a ship with our family can be?" he pondered.

" sure." she agreed, moving to the edge of the ship.

" I have to say I'm surprised. I'm still surprised that I got your Raven." Otto admitted. " the King said it was your idea to invite me back. Not getting slow in your old age. Are you a Lannister?" He mused.

" I missed you is that such a crime?" Aelsa countered.

" seems like it should be." Otto agreed she bumped her hip up against his. " the king also said something about you being...." he didn't even want to say the words out loud.

" pregnant." she finished for him. He nodded stiffly. "I'm not." she corrected. " I mean I could be in the future and I do like to take some time off to be with my babe." she added.

" your children with..." again he hated to say it.

"Larys is a good man." Aelsa assured him. " he treats me right he's always been good to me."

" I'm glad you found someone." he agreed, but she could tell it was not sincere. Looking in his eyes, she saw what she saw 10 years ago. Passion, wanting, craving, but most of all she saw love. Love for her. Aelsa stared back at him a moment longer those hightower green eyes like staring into your soul.

" I can never say it enough," his voice was just below a whisper. Aelsa had to strain her ear to hear. " I'm so sorry that I left you. I will never be able to make up the time that we had. Never be able to get back we had. And I'm glad you found someone. I'm just frustrated that it wasn't me..." aelsa didn't know what to say to that. She wanted him to say that 10 years ago. To not leave to be there for her.

" I'm glad for the second chance with you." Otto added. " you are the hand of the king and I a lowly master but consider me your assistant if you need one. Break me bend me at your will." Otto requested. A smile broke across her face.

"Yes as exciting as that sounds," she assured, "maybe you are bad luck." Aelsa mused. Larys stared back at Otto and Aelsa against the railing of the ship. He noticed how Otto looked at Aelsa, how he leaned in.

It was a bad idea, inviting otto hightower back to the capital.