23. On Your Knees

"I was thinking we take a trip to Harenhal." Aelsa admitted. Larys put down his book and looked over at her from across the room. Larys was in bed while Aelsa was still getting unready for the day.

"Harenhall? why?" Larys questioned.

"Atticus was asking when we are going to visit your brother and I got a raven from Lyonel..." Aelsa offered.

"I dont think you have ever wanted to leave the capital in the past ten years. What if something goes wrong? What if they need you?" Larys mused.

"Otto can handle things while we are gone and Tyland assured me we have everything under control, I can have a meeting dicuss anything urgent before I leave but we both know that lot of old men know nothing and nothing gets accomplished without me so when I get back it will be like i never left." Aelsa assured.

"You really want to visit my family?"  Aelsa held out the scroll. "My father is trying to set harwin up..." Larys questioned with a laugh. "Do you think the princess knows?"

"Doubtful." Aelsa countered. "Come you and me and the kids need a getaway. Its been a year since driftmark, since Aemond... things are back to normal." Aelsa reminded him. "It's a good time to go."

"Alright," Larys agreed. "Just wanted to make sure you were sure. I will take as much uninterrupted Aelsa time that I can get." Larys assured kissing her as she climbed into bed.

"Wonderful. I will let the council know and we can plan for weeks end if all goes well." Aelsa agreed as she blew out the candles.

Aelsa woke with larys arm wrapped around her like most mornings they were draped over each other. She sighed interlocking their fingers. They needed this get away.

"What do you mean your leaving?" Aegon questioned.

"Just a trip." Aelsa assured as she tidied up her office.

"How long will you be gone?"

"Not too long." Aelsa answered.

"Thats not a real answer Aels." Aegon grumbled.

Aelsa had a lot of work to do before they left, she made sure Tyland had everything in order, she wanted notes on anything important and said she would ride back if they had any real need for her. Viserys assured her that it was fine, everything was fine, she deserved a break. Aelsa worked hard, Viserys wanted her to take some time with her family uninterrupted. 

"If it goes well, I might take a trip up to casterly rock." Aelsa offered. 

"Yeah?" Alaric questioned. 

"We could visit father." Aelsa added. 

"Or we could stock up on our honey wine and skip that." Alaric countered. 

"You are a lannister Alaric. Did you forget, you are-"

"Not to father I'm not." Alaric countered. 

"Well he's a cunt." Aelsa offered with a shrug. "I love you, the kids love you... you remember when you were little and I was being reckless and stupid and jumped off the side of casterly rock? The cliffside... you screamed bloody murder." 

"I thought you were jumping to your death. But you were fearless." Alaric agreed. 

"I am giving you some of my fearlessness Alaric," she pushed her hands out towards him. "Take some of that bravery and if we go to casterly rock, tell father how you feel. Better to get it off your chest." 

"He's dying isnt he?" Alaric realized. 

"He is not." Aelsa corrected. "But he's not getting any younger, he would be proud of you. I have wrote him about you."

"You have?" 

"Yes. Which is why I think we should do to casterly rock, eventually." 

"Eventually." Alaric agreed. "Not yet."

"Okay," Aelsa agreed. 

"Hey Otto." Alaric added as he passed. 

"You are leaving..." Otto whispered. 

"Yeah, family vacation." Aelsa agreed not meeting his gaze. 

"I'm going to miss that smile while you are gone." Otto remarked and Aelsa found herself smiling at him comment. "Thats the one." Otto agreed.

"We wont be gone too long

"We wont be gone too long." Aelsa reminded him.

"Just visiting the father in law, I know." Otto agreed. "And everything will be in tip top shape around here, dont you worry. You are leaving the capital in good hands."

"You going to make sure the capital doesnt burn down?" Aelsa mused.

"I cant control the dragons. If I could I would be king." Otto remarked.

"What would you do if you were king?" Aelsa mused.

"You would be on your knees for starters." Otto said without missing a beat.

"Oh?"

"Bowing down to me. Of course."

"Of course." Aelsa agreed lifting her glass to her lips.

"Of course." Otto repeated smugly.

"Dont burn the castle down. I will be very disappointed in you." Aelsa remarked.

"When do you leave?"

"A few days." Aelsa answered.

"You sure you want to leave me? You sure you trust me?" Otto mused. " you might want to keep a close eye on me in the next few days... just in case."

" don't give me any reason to doubt you." she mused.