37. A Woman

''Though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds, we gather here with the grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark. As Hand, I speak with the King's voice on this and all other matters.'' Aelsa remarked sitting proudly on the throne. "The crown will now hear the petitions. Ser Vaemond of House Velaryon." She decreed. SHe liked sitting the throne, she liked being the center of attention. Liked that she held their lives in her perfectly manicured hands... damn it a hangnail. She would have to deal with it later. 

''My Queen. My lady Hand.'' Vaemond said setting forward. ''The history of our noble houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria. For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas." Vaemond talked and all Aelsa heard was blah, blah, blah, he was needy and whiney and didnt respect her as hand so she didnt respect him. It was clear with how he looked at her. He saw a cunt and a pair of tits, nothing more.  "When the Doom fell on Valyria, our houses became the last of their kind. Our forebearers came to this new land, knowing that were they to fail, it would mean the end to their bloodlines and their name." Rhaenyra held back the groan as she hated having to defend her claim, her childrens claim against Vaemond.

''I have spent my entire life on Driftmark defending my brother's seat. I am Lord Corlys's closest kin, his own blood. The true, unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins." Vaemond went on.

''As it does in my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon. If you cared so much about your house's blood, Ser Vaemond, you would not be so bold as to supplant its rightful heir.'' Rhaenyra spoke up. ''No, you only speak for yourself and for your own ambition.'' Rhaenyra declared.

''You will have chance to make your own petition, Princess Rhaenyra. Do Ser Vaemond the courtesy of allowing his to be heard''. Alicent told her kindly but Rhaenyra heard the bitterness breaking through her false smiles.

"Yes, one complainer at a time.'' Aelsa agreed. Vaemond groaned before forcing his glare at Rhaenyra. 

''What do you know of Velaryon blood, Princess?'' Vaemond countered ''I could cut my veins and show it to you and you still wouldn't recognize it. This is about the future and survival of my house, not yours.'' Vaemond turned back to Aelsa and Alicent. ''My Queen, my Lady Hand." After all these years lady hand still sounded funny, she liked Hand. Why put an extra label on it. When Otto was introduced previously they called him the hand, they always called her the lady hand. Aelsa didnt like it, she had been hand for 16 years now and they should all know that it was a woman in charge.  

"This is a matter of blood, not ambition. I place the continuation of the survival of my house and my line above all. I humbly put myself before you as my brother's successor... the Lord of Driftmark and Lord of the Tides.'' Vaemond finished. Aelsa nodded taking a sip of her wine. 

''Thank you, Ser Vaemond... needed something to wash that down with." Aelsa mumbled. "ALright Rhaenyra, you may now speak for your son, Lucerys Velaryon.'' Aelsa informed her and Rhaenyra stepped forward a heavy breath in her lungs.

''If I am to grace this farce with some answer, I will start by reminding the court that nearly 20 years ago, in this very...'' Rhaenyra began but Aelsa waved a hand. 

"I'm sorry, lets see, Rhaenys, sorry your names are so similar, its the Rhaeny, you see? Rhaeny-s vs ra, anyways.  Rhaenys," She said clearly. "I think its best you tell your tale of woe first." 

"Indeed, lady hand." Rhaenyra stepped back as Rhaenys stepped forward ''It was ever my husband's will that Driftmark pass through Ser Laenor to his true born son... Lucerys Velaryon. His mind never changed. Nor did my support of him. As a matter of fact, the Princess Rhaenyra has just informed me of her desire to marry her sons Jace and Luke to Lord Corlys's granddaughters, Baela and Rhaena. A proposal to which I heartily agree."

"Are you sure about that?" Aelsa questioned. Rhaenys hesitated. "What do you truly want?" Rhaenys tensed, Rhaenyra glared back at her. 

"I want my granddaughters to rule. Laena... I see so much of her in her girls, more so than in Rhaenyra's boys." Rhaenys admitted. "I would like for Baela to hold the seat after me." 

"Thank you for your candor, Princess." Aelsa remarked her fingers trilling on the throne. ''Well..." Otto liked her up there, holding the power. "The matter is settled. I hereby affirm Princess Baela of House Velaryon and Targaryen as heir to Driftmark, the Driftwood Throne, and the next lady of the Tides."

"A woman?" Vaemond hissed. 

"Yes. A woman." Aelsa agreed. "We run the world, don't you know?"

''NO!" Vaemond bellowed. "Viserys broke the law... and centuries of tradition to install his daughter as heir. Yet you-  WOMAN- dare tell me... who deserves to inherit the name Velaryon.'' Vaemond shouted in outrage. ''No. I will not allow it.''

"Allow it"?" Aelsa chuckled. "Look at you, look at me. Do not forget yourself, Vaemond.'' Aelsa warned. "I hold the power here."

"A woman cannot rule alone it is mine!" Vaemond shouted. 

"Yet you Vaemond... are no more than the second son of Driftmark. You may run your house as you see fit..." Aelsa declared ''but you will not decide the future of anything else.''

'' My house survived the Doom and a thousand tribulations besides." Vaemond hissed ''And gods be damned... I will not see it ended on the account of this...''

"What ever do you mean?" Aelsa questioned. 

"The heir," he sneered out. Aelsa's lips curved into a small smile. 

''Say it.'' Daemon said softly from behind him.

"Her children..." Vaemond shouted ''are bastards! And she...'' he pointed at Rhaenyra ''is... a whore.'' Aelsa looked to her hands pulling at a hang nail while Daemon stepped forward slicing his head free from his neck is an elegant swoosh.

''He can keep his tongue.'' Daemon remarked calmly. Aelsa looked to Vaemond's head, indeed his tongue was intact. 

"Gross." Aelsa decided. 

'' Disarm him!'' the guards shouted

''No need.'' Daemon said putting his blade down.

"I think we are adjourned, thank you for coming to such a... entertaining show. Congratulations Baela Targaryen. UNtil you come of age, Rhaenys will hold your seat and guide you, sounds good? Great." Aelsa rose up and Otto smiled up at her. "Someone mop Vaemond up."