Prelude to Descruction

The past week had a bittersweet tone to it, Nadia continuously looked for a job while simultaneously helping out at the hospital. Roman continued to go to work and be gone for long periods of time what with the recent disaster.

In the spare time the two of them had, they helped Pietro learn how to use his abilities. Although he wasn't able to use them at will, he was considerably better at controlling it when it was induced by reflexes.

The pressure from the outside world kept the three on high alert at all times, but there were short times during the week when it felt like there was no problems.

Pietro often found himself smiling when the three of them were together. Roman was always keeping the atmosphere light with jokes and Nadia was always supporting everyone.

They would talk and talk, at one point Roman even went shopping for some clothes for Pietro.

They took some time to think of ways to get Pietro out of the city, though nothing came to mind. It was frustrating for Pietro, knowing his sister was out there somewhere, but he couldn't be with her.

It was the afternoon and Roman was out working. Pietro was stuck in the apartment as usual, reading. He was nearly done the book now and was left to wonder what he would do when he was done. Starting another book was out of the question; he didn't have the patience to read another one.

"That's still one of my favourite books," Nadia said, sitting down next to him.

"I rarely read books because I'm a slow reader, but this one is really good," he replied.

She laughed, "That's a bit ironic."

Pietro laughed too. "I guess it is," he then continued to read.

"What are you going to do when you get back to your sister?" Nadia asked suddenly.

Pietro paused. He hadn't thought of what would happen after he found his sister. If she really wanted to be a part of The Avengers, he supposed he could give it a try, though it wouldn't be his first choice. It wasn't like he could go back to a normal life after this.

"I don't know," he finally said. "I could give being with The Avengers a try, but I'm still so confused."

"Why?"

Pietro sighed, not wanting to talk about the darker side of his life, but he was aware it would have to be talked about at some point.

"When Wanda and I were stuck in our half destroyed apartment, we could see the shell clearly. It had Stark's name on it, clear as day. Ever since then, my sister and I have wanted to avenge our parents death," he paused and gave a small smile. "Now here I am, without part of my memories and a member of The Avengers."

Nadia beamed at him, the exact opposite expression he was expecting. "I guess you chose the right thing to do then, huh," she said teasingly.

"Yeah, I wish I knew," he replied.

"If parts have come back to you already, then I think the rest will come back eventually."

"It would be very helpful if it came back now. All I get are tiny pieces of memories that are more confusing than helpful," he told her.

She shrugged. "At least you remember something."

Their conversation drifted off, so Pietro resumed reading.

Many hours, and pages later Roman announced his arrival home from the loud slamming of the door, something Pietro was starting to find annoying.

"Remind me why I became a politician!" He groaned, walking into the living room.