A Shard Separate

Agent Adams was a nutcase. Natasha and Clint had gone with Pietro to the mental hospital, hoping to follow up on the lead they had, but they weren't gaining much at the moment.

"Your name is Will Adams, is it not?" Natasha asked.

The man sitting in front of them was only separated from them by a glass pane, the one his face was pressed against currently.

The man backed away from the window and nodded feverishly. "Why would you need to know that?"

Natasha looked back to Clint and Pietro for help, but they stood there plainly.

Agent Romanoff sighed. "Just making sure you were telling the truth. Onto the next question, are you ready?"

The man looked to the space beside Natasha, the space the nobody was occupying, and turned his head. It was like he was seeing something the rest of them weren't.

Clint snapped his fingers. "Adams, stay with us."

The man nodded blankly and returned his focus to Natasha.

"After your mission, when you supposedly 'came back to life', you reported hearing a voice in your head correct?" She asked.

"A voice? I hear many voices! Some tell me what do, while others call me things," he paused, and thought a bit. "I stopped listening to them a while ago," he finished dully.

"Are you sure this isn't just some normal mental problem?" Clint asked quietly.

"Only one way to find out- we ask," Pietro replied. "What do the voices say? Does the word powerless seem familiar at all?"

The man's eyes widened as soon a Pietro had mentioned the word.

"Yes, yes! I hear that word all the time! But there's so many now, that I don't pay attention anymore."

Pietro's heart sped up at the man's answer. Would this be him after a while? would this be Wanda?

Natasha looked back at the two of them, waiting for someone else to take initiative.

"I need to see his file," Pietro said hurriedly.

Natasha nodded. "We'll be back soon Mr. Adams," she said with a fake smile.

-

In the other room Clint pulled a folder from his jacket.

"What do you need to see?"

Pietro reached out tentatively, as if the contents of the file could harm him. And maybe they would. He was aware that the answers he would find may not be to his liking.

"I need to know everything. What his past mission was, where it was, how long he's been like this. Most importantly, I need to know why he started listening to these voices," Pietro explained.

"Was he always a stable agent?" Natasha asked.

Clint shrugged. "I never knew the man, guess we'll have to look that up too."

Inside the file most of the papers were academic arguments about whether the man had truly died or not. Eventually it was ruled out that he never really had. Clint disagreed with the declaration, though.

"I saw you stop breathing, carried you when you had no pulse. If he's hearing voices, and you're hearing a voice, there is no way his heart 'temporarily stopped'."

Pietro took a deep breath and continued reading. He still wasn't used to the idea of himself dying, then again, nobody really could get used to that.