Homecoming

Mikey and I were walking towards Frank's truck after school. The dance was tonight and classes were cut short.

"I'm so excited for the dance..." I spoke.

"Yeah... it's gonna be great..." His tone sounded strange.

"You okay?" He nodded, "You got your suit, yeah?"

"Uhm... yeah... yes..."

"And you're getting your cast off?"

"Yes..." But his tone still sounded strange.

"Mikey, what's going on with you?"

"Nothing, I'm fine. I promise."

"Okay..." I wanted to ask more questions, but we had already made it to Frank's truck.

"Can you take me home, Frank? I wanna get ready for the dance..." I said.

"Oh you wanna look nice for Mikey. How cute!"

"Shut up." Mikey spoke between his teeth.

"It's okay, Mikey. You two are gonna be adorable together!" Frank teased, "But yeah I can take you home." He did so and once again I waved them off as I went inside.

"Mom! I'm home!" I ran to my room and dropped my bag on the floor. Almost immediately I went through my closet, but my dress was gone, "Mom..."

"Y/n! You're home..." I turned to see my mother standing in the doorway.

"Where's my dress?" She had a strange look on her face, "Mom..."

"Okay fine I took it to the dry cleaners and uhm..." She sighed, then grabbed something from her bedroom. It looked like a mass of black fabric that had been torn to shreds.

"Oh my god..." I gazed at the dress, now teary eyed, "What am I gonna do?"

"Hey it's gonna be okay! It'll be okay!"

"Mom, my dress is destroyed. What am I gonna wear!?"

"Maybe uhm... maybe you can wear one of my old dresses?"

"Oh god!" I held my face in my hands.

"C'mon, it'll be okay," She desperately tried calming me down as she led me to her closet, "Look! I have pretty dresses!"

I gazed over to find some of the most bland and unappealing dresses I had ever seen. Despite this, I desperately flipped though each one for some sort of something.

Finally my eyes landed on a cream colored dress that looked vintage. It had short sleeves and went down to my knees. There were tears at the bottom, but I didn't mind.

"Can I wear this one?"

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah..."

I took it to my bedroom and began to get ready. My outfit consisted of my dress, black tights, and black flats. I also wore a heart necklace. After I changed I did my hair and makeup. By the time I was done the dance had already begun. Quickly I texted Mikey. As I waited for a response, I sat in the living room. He said he might be late...

After awhile I messaged him again. Still, there was nothing. The dance had started over an hour ago now. I probably sat on that couch for two hours by the time my mother said something.

"When's he gonna be here?"

"I dunno... he won't respond to me..." I felt a nasty feeling come over me during this. Thoughts upon thoughts swirled through my mind as to where he could possibly be. The tears had appeared again.