Chopsticks

"I'm so sorry about them, are you okay?" I asked, gazing at Billie's beaten face.

"Yeah I'm fine..." He sighed, "I guess I deserved it."

"No way. You weren't even doing anything..." A small cut on his forehead began to bleed. I tried wiping some of it off, but he pulled away.

"I'll be fine babe. Don't worry."

"You sure?"

"Yeah... you wanna get something to eat?"

"Yeah that'd be nice. I just... uhm... I don't really have a lot of money..."

"That's alright. I can pay."

"You don't have to do that."

"I'm not letting you starve."

"Okay, fine. I'm paying you back though."

"Babe you don't have to do that."

"Well I'm gonna. And you gotta stop calling me babe. I'm dating Mikey, remember?"

"Sorry, I call most girls that," I hummed, "Where do you wanna eat?"

"I don't really care..." We stopped walking as he gazed around for a moment.

"There's this really good Chinese place nearby I just..." He gazed back and forth, "I think it's over here..."

I followed him down the sidewalk until we made it to a small building. Billie held the door open for me as we walked inside. Almost instantly the smell of butter chicken and egg rolls wafted through the air. Cooks in the back were yelling in a language I couldn't understand. Waiters and waitresses rushed to each table. It wasn't even noon and the place was bustling like mad.

"Woah..."

"Yeah, I know. I swear they're amazing." A waiter led us to an empty table for two and handed us menus.

"I've never been here before..."

"Most people haven't. It's kinda hard to find."

"How'd you find this place?"

"I dunno..." He gazed at the menu for a moment, "If you don't mind imma just order a plate for us to share."

"Why?"

"You'll see. Chicken fried rice?" It's like he read my mind.

"I love fried rice. You're telling me a chicken fried this rice?"

"You're telling me a pineapple fried this rice?" We both laughed. The waiter came over and Billie ordered the food. I set my head in hand, gazing at the boy sat across from me.

"What're you staring at, babe?" He asked once the waiter left.

"I'm just... confused."

"About what?"

"You... you're so..." I struggled to find the words, "I dunno... you're just so different. It's weird."

"What? You want me to be mean?"

"No! It's a good weird!" I chuckled, "Of course I don't want you to be mean. I like you like this. It's uhm... it's nice..."

"No one else seems to think so."

"Yeah, I know... you're just gonna have to give them some time."

"I'm sorry, what's on your face?" I hummed, then sighed as I remembered.

"My mascara from last night..." I explained, "I cried so hard it stained my face."

"Oh man," His eyes filled with sorrow, "You gonna be okay?"