Chapter 5

It's lacrosse practice the next day. "Let's go!!" Coach yells, throwing Jackson a long stick. "One-on-one from up top!"

Scott and Stiles jog over to us, both of their expressions serious. Uh-oh, what's that about?

We start a drill, running around the field and passing the ball to each other. The boys shoulder-check each other.

"That's how you do it, Jackson! That's how you do it!!" Coach yells from the sidelines, nodding in approval.

"Forget Lydia," I mutter to Isaac, who's running alongside me, "Coach is definitely Jackson's biggest cheerleader."

He snorts, amused, quickly catching the ball hurtling towards us. "Damn, thanks," I say.

He just nods. The ball would've hit me in my side if Isaac didn't have fast reflexes.

"Greenberg, take a lap!!" Coach shouts. Isaac and I laugh. His projected hatred towards Greenberg is always funny.

Next, we all line up, ready to start playing one-on-one against Jackson. "Let's go! Faster, Greenberg! Let's go."

He always seems to speak in exclamation marks.

"McCall, what are you waiting for? Let's go!"

Scott dashes forward. He's completely flattened by Jackson. Everyone winces. I peer around Issac's large frame to see Jackson hovering over Scott, smirking.

Scott staggers to his feet. "My-my grandmother can move faster than that — and she's dead! You think you can move faster than the lifeless corpse of my dead grandmother?" Coach inquires tauntingly.

That's tautology, Coach. Tautology.

Scott doubles over. Oh no.

Coach walks away from Scott. "McCall's gonna do it again! McCall's gonna do it again!"

This time, it's Jackson that's completely flattened by Scott. Oh dear. Scott's adrenaline must be skyrocketing right now, which is never a good thing for a new werewolf.

Everyone crowds around Jackson, concerned (cue eye roll — no one was like this with Scott), and Stiles ushers Scott away.

Scott is struggling and shaking. Oh dear. I think he's transforming.

"Uhh — Coach," I utter, "Scott's having an asthma attack, I need to grab his inhaler."

"Yeah, yeah, Argent, do what you have to." Coach waves me away dismissively. "Jackson, buddy, you okay?" He pats Jackson's cheeks. Jackson groans.

I sprint off, grab the taser out of my bag, and dash to the boys locker room.

I hear screaming from inside. Oh no, am I too late? I hurtle inside, seeing Scott on top of the lockers, stalking Stiles. He jumps down and lands in front of Stiles.

"SCOTT!!" I yell from the doorway.

He spins around, snarling, his fangs bared and his eyes shining a bright amber. He bounds over to me, his claws unsheathed.

"I'm so sorry for this," I mutter as I electrocute him in his stomach with my taser. The electricity crackles and zaps at the contact.

Scott thankfully transforms back into his human state. Stiles is gaping at us, still flattened against a wall.

"I'm sorry for that," I apologise to Scott, helping him to his feet.

"Wha— why am I on the floor? What happened?"

Stiles exhales loudly, rips his gloves off, and throws them to the floor, exasperated. "You tried to kill me."

I lean against a locker, my arms folded. "So I tasered you. I'm sorry."