Chapter 33

"Good morning, Marie," I greet, already dressed with my book clutched firmly in hand.

"Nylah, it's lovely to see you again!" Her smile exudes warmth and comfort. "Come eat breakfast," she instructs, pointing at the island counter on which is a spread of croissants, salmon, cream cheese, strawberries, cherries, and blueberries.

I use the coffee machine to make a cup of coffee and help myself to a large handful of berries and a salmon and cream cheese croissant.

"Your family is in the living room," Marie tells me over the sound of the whirring dishwasher and spinning washing machine, standing at the sink and washing up. Stacks of dishes and champagne flutes surround her on all sides.

"Thank you, Marie." I pause, guilty she has to clean up after a huge party. "Can I help with anything?"

She spins around with a stern expression, her rubber washing gloves coated with suds. "You can help me by eating your breakfast. Now shoo, shoo!"

I laugh. "Okay, Marie."

I walk into the living room, my plate in one hand, my coffee and book in the other. "Good morning, Mini Mikaelson," Klaus greets, sitting on the leather couch and sketching.

"Morning, Klaus and Kol." Where's Rebekah, Finn, and Elijah? Carefully, I lower myself on the couch next to Klaus, not wanting to spill a single drop of my precious coffee.

"Good to know one of the girls are home," Kol says mischievously, his face peeking over the top of his newspaper.

"What's that supposed to — oh." Heat rises to my cheeks. Klaus is chortling to himself.

We spend a grand total of ten minutes in complete, compatible silence: I eat my breakfast and sip on my coffee as I read my book, Klaus is immersed in his sketch, his pencil stroking the paper lightly, and Kol is reading the newspaper, his foot bouncing in anticipation... for what, I have no idea.

Rebekah enters the room, clutching her heels and purse. She's still in her green silk dress from last night.

Kol eagerly leaps to his feet and blocks Rebekah's path. "Well, well, well, there's our girl!"

"Get out of my way, Kol," Rebekah commands, looking fed up.

"Out all night, what a scandal!" Kol continues as Rebekah tries to move past him. "I trust you did better than that commoner? Matt, was it?"

"If you don't shut your mouth, the next thing to come out of it will be your teeth," Rebekah threatens. Klaus grins. "Don't start, Nik!"

"I didn't say anything," Klaus protests, still smiling happily.

She smiles at me when she notices I'm here, too. "Morning, love."

"Good morning, Bekah." I grin cheekily. "So, was last night fun?"

"You little minx!" she exclaims. Klaus erupts with laughter. "Who's side are you on?"

"Yours, always."

"So act like it," Rebekah says sternly. However, she's unable to stop her mouth from twitching upwards.

"Yes ma'am," I respond.

"I'm bored," Kol announces, flopping into an armchair. "Our sister is a strumpet, but at least she's having fun. I need entertainment."

"What are you waiting for? Go on, have at it," Klaus replies, turning back to his sketch.

"It's not fun to go alone," Kol whines. "Join me, Nik! It's the least you can do after sticking a dagger in my heart."

I snort. Nice, not-so-subtle manipulation.