Chapter 27

The next day, Scott, Stiles, and I are chatting in the locker room, waiting for Coach to show up for morning cross country practice.

Scott's telling us about a client who left his dog and car near the animal clinic. Stiles, of course, has detective mode activated.

"Okay, was he, like... could he have been a virgin, maybe? Did he look like a virgin? Was he, you know, virginal?" Stiles interrogates.

"No, definitely not," Scott retorts, scoffing, "Deaton makes me have sex with all of his clients. It's a new policy." Scott sighs when Stiles looks blank. "No. I don't know if he was a virgin... and why are you talking like he's already dead? He's just missing."

"Missing and presumed dead because he's probably a virgin, Scott! And you know who else is a virgin? Me. I'm a virgin, okay? And you know what that means? It means that my lack of sexual experience is now literally a threat to my life! I need to have sex, like, right now."

Stiles gets more and more panicked. I just lean against the locker, deeming that it's healthy for him to express his concerns/frustrations.

"Someone needs to have sex with me, like, today. Like, someone needs to sex me right now!" Stiles yells, loud enough for every team member in the locker room to look at us. I grimace.

Someone shuts a locker near us. "All right, I'lI do it," Danny says.

"What???" Stiles yelps. I giggle.

"Come to my place at nine. Plan to stay the night. I like to cuddle."

"Aww, that's so sweet," Stiles replies earnestly. He frowns. "Wait, are you kidding?"

"Yes! I'm kidding!"

"Okay, you know, you don't toy with a guy's emotions like that, Danny! It's not attractive, all right?" Stiles protests.

I giggle more. Danny winks at me before he saunters off.

"Don't worry, Stiles," I say from where I stand, "I'm in just as much of a predicament as you."

Stiles gapes at me. "You mean, you and Isaac haven't...?"

I shake my head. Scott and Stiles both look very surprised. I frown slightly. Hmm...?

Speaking of Isaac, there he is right now.

"Mr Lahey, happy to have you back!" Coach exclaims, "Not happy that you're late."

"Sorry, Coach," Isaac apologises, smiling at me as he walks past.

"I'll remind you all that cross country isn't optional for lacrosse players! I don't need you turning into a bunch of fat-asses in the off-season."

***

Outside, I'm bouncing on my toes beside Scott and Stiles, waiting for Coach to start us off.

Twins with chiseled jawlines and defined arms appear at either side of Isaac, taunting and baiting him. The whistle blows, and everyone starts jogging.

"It's them," Isaac informs Stiles, Scott, and I. These twins are part of the alpha pack...?

Right now, they're leading the group of us before they veer off the course completely. Scott and I sprint after Isaac when he, against his better judgement, chases the twins down, trying not to stumble over the leaves, stumps, and stones on the path.