Chapter 7

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!" Allison, my parents, and Aunt Kate yell as they burst into my room.

"The heck?" I mutter, disgruntled, peering at them through blurry eyes, "Wasgoinon?"

My duvet is twisted, my right arm is hanging over the edge of the bed, and my pillows are on the floor. What the...?

I glance at my alarm clock.

07:00

"I OVERSLEPT!" I exclaim, frantic. I almost fall to the floor as I leap out of bed. "SINCE WHEN HAS ALLISON EVER BEEN OUT OF BED BEFORE ME?!"

"Nylah, Nylah," dad says, wrapping his arms around me, "Calm down. I turned your clock off because I thought you needed some extra sleep."

"We noticed you haven't been getting much lately," mum concurs, "Clearly, the sleep-in was needed."

"...oh." I ponder. "At least I know this tardiness is through no fault of my own."

My parents chuckle, and I squeeze Allison. "Happy birthday, first-escaper-of-the-womb!!!"

She laughs, quickly gasping as I squeeze the air out of her. "You were too slow, sucker."

I release her as we all laugh. Mum is looking at us with raised eyebrows.

"Please don't tell me you've all eaten already," I grumble, "I'm starving."

"No," Allison replies, "Dad made pancakes and mom and Aunt Kate made bacon and eggs."

"YESSSS!!" I sprint out the door and down the stairs. "Come on, what are you all waiting for???"

***

Two minutes later, after a cringe-worthy rendition of "happy birthday", we're all seated at the dining table, tucking into our food. There are flowers and presents dotted around the table.

Allison and I dash upstairs to get ready for school before opening presents... something we do every year.

I shower, wash my hair quickly, towel-dry it, do my skincare and brush my teeth, and run around frantically as I figure out what to wear.

This is why I prefer waking up early. Much less stressful.

I decide on a white skirt, knee-high black leather heeled boots, and a sage green jumper. I blow dry my hair and curl it, put on mascara and gloss, and quickly pack my black book-bag with the textbooks I need for today. All set.

Allison emerges from her room at the same time as me, her long brown hair also curled. She's wearing a white Alice band, grey jeans, a black leather jacket, a scarf, and has mascara on, too. She looks pretty.

Downstairs, Aunt Kate hands me a rectangular box.

"I got mine yesterday," Allison claims, toying with a pendent on her neck. The Argent wolf pendant.

I smile widely at Allison before I subtly raise my eyebrows at Aunt Kate. She looks back at me, smug. I know she's trying to expose Allison to the Supernatural.

Inside the box is a dagger — the Argent emblem is stamped on the top of the handle. "Neat," I say with a grateful smile, turning is over in my hands, "Thank you, Aunt Kate." I hug her.