Chapter 6

Horrified, I observe the scene in front of me. A school bus, with its door yanked off its hinges and blood splattered everywhere, has been taped off. The area is swarming with deputies.

The alpha. Or Scott.

Fear grips my heart. If it's Scott, my family is going to kill him. If it's the alpha, he or she is clearly doing more than merely turning people... this attack was so close to the school. Did someone die? Or are they severely injured?

"Nylah?" Sheriff Stilinski utters as he spots me standing deathly still. He strides over to me.

"Hello Mr Stilinski," I greet, forcing myself out of my shock, "What happened?? Is everyone okay?"

"Classified information at this moment, I'm afraid." His mouth forms a thin line, his green eyes filled with concern.

"I'm sorry Sheriff," I utter, despondent that everyone has to witness such brutality. "This seems like a difficult job to do."

"It is," he sighs, "But we try to manage."

"Good luck with that," I utter before strolling off and standing under a tree where no one is around.

I pull my phone out of my pocket, switch it on, and call dad. "Dad."

"All okay, Nylah?"

"No," I respond, "There's been some sort of attack at the school. I don't know if someone has died or if they're just injured, but I suspect it's the alpha."

"I'll investigate it today," dad replies, his interest piqued. "Anything else?"

"It happened on the bus," I mutter, "I've got nothing else, but I'll update you if something does happen."

"Thanks Nylah. We'll take care of it."

He hangs up.

As soon as I walk through the front doors of the high school, Principal Thomas's voice booms over the intercom.

"Attention students, this is your principal. I know you're all wondering about the incident that occurred last night to one of our buses... while the police work to determine what happened, classes will proceed as usual."

I smile to myself, extremely happy. Everyone else around me, however, groans.

I'm the last one to arrive to Chemistry. Thankfully, I'm not late, just a little flustered. I rush to my seat at the back.

"Hey," I greet Isaac, getting my notepad, textbook, pens, highlighters, and water bottle out of my bag.

"Hey, why are you so much later than usual? This isn't like you. Tut tut tut." He grins.

"I was looking at the crime scene," I admit, "What the heck happened there?"

He shrugs. "Beats me. Looks pretty horrific, though."

I have to agree with him.

We turn our attention to Mr Harris. I copy down what he writes on the blackboard into my notebook.

He turns around, glaring at Stiles and Scott, who have been talking the whole time. Mr Harris waits for them to notice that the class has fallen silent.

A minute later, when that doesn't happen, Mr Harris speaks up, "Mr Stilinski, if that's your idea of a hushed whisper, you might want to pull the headphones out every once in a while."

"Uh..."

"I think you and Mr McCall would benefit from a little distance, yes?"

"No!" he objects, appalled.