Chapter 19

After our visit to the Animal Clinic, Stiles drops me home in his Jeep so I can get ready for the show. "I'll pick you up at 6?" he queries, his fingers drumming the steering wheel.

"Thanks Stiles," I respond with a smile. He nods and pulls out the driveway.

I walk down to the basement, where I hear a large group of people talking. There's about seven Hunters, Gerard, dad, and Allison down here.

I stand on the basement stairs, behind Allison, who's sitting down. She smiles up at me as a greeting.

"Alright," dad booms, "The party is in a warehouse just inside the industrial sector. Alison and Nylah have learned that Jackson Whittemore will be there, seeking his next target out of the crowd. Since we still have little clue as to how strong he is, we need to be extremely cautious. When Allison has Jackson's location and has determined him to be at the optimal point where we can take him down, she'll signal me. "Optimal" meaning as far away from the crowd as possible. There will be no collateral damage tonight."

"Dad," I pipe up from where I stand. I grip the banister as everyone's attention lands on me. "I found out that we're using ketamine on Jackson. They're also surrounding the warehouse with mountain ash, meaning he won't be able to get in or get out once it's been put in place. The party might have to be stopped."

Dad raises his eyebrows. "Good work, Nylah. Okay, you help them with the ketamine plan, then you leave the rest up to us, okay? You tell us when he's down."

I nod. "Okay."

"You two can go," dad says, dismissing us.

As I traipse to my room, my hearing kicks in.

Gerard: "As willing a young participant as they seem, your young protégés appear to be under the impression that we are planning a trap."

Are they not planning a trap!?

Dad: "They don't need to know any more than that."

Gerard: "For the rest of us, then, let's be perfectly clear... you don't trap a creature this dangerous — you kill it."

I sit down on the edge of my bed heavily. After a couple of seconds of worrying, I call Scott. "Scott... we have a huge problem..."

"Not another," he groans, "What now?"

"We both thought the Hunters would help us trap Jackson... but they're not. They want to kill him."

He swears. "Okay Nylah, thanks for telling me. I'll let the others know that they must avoid the Hunters."

"Good," I say and hang up.

I've got a party to get ready for.

I shower, wash my hair, and shave. I put a sheet face mask on while I wait for my hair to dry. With my underwear on, I run around my room, trying to figure out what to wear.

I tug a short black fabric skort up my legs — it's quite practical for an undercover mission.

I rummage around in my neat wardrobe and decide on a tight, low-cut, black strappy crop-top. If there's any time I can wear these clothes, it's now, so why not?