Chapter 20

The following day, our parents drive us to the police station.

Nervously, Allison and I enter the station. "Hello," a pretty woman at the front desk greets, looking between the four of us, "What can we help you with?"

"I, uhm, I mean, we... my sister and I... we would like to get a restraining order," I utter, chewing the inside of my lip worriedly. Allison puts a hand on my shoulder.

"Right." The lady leans forward on the desk. "I will refer you to the Sheriff."

"Okay," I sigh, relieved, turning to face my parents and Allison. At least we know the Sheriff.

"You can all go through," the police officer tells us, pointing us towards an office.

"Thank you," Allison and I say. We all walk into the Sheriff's office.

"Sheriff Jansen," he greets, shaking my parents' hands. I gape at him. Where's Mr Stilinski? "Please, sit," he says, gesturing at the two chairs in front of his desk and the couch at the side of the office.

"Sorry to be so blunt, sir," I utter as I sit down, the memory card clutched firmly in my hand, "But where is Sheriff Stilinski?"

"You are Ms...?"

"Argent," I respond.

"Ms Argent," he utters, "Mr Stilinski was suspended yesterday. His son took a deputy's cruiser."

My mouth falls open. That's what Stiles disappointed his father about. Poor boy. He was only trying to save Jackson, and this was the outcome.

Beside me, Allison's heart races. She was in on it, too.

"So, what can I help you all with?" he inquires, lacing his fingers together.

"We would like to file a restraining order," mum answers from where she sits on the couch, her head held high.

"Right." Sheriff Jansen rummages through the neatly-stacked papers on his desk and pulls out a form. "Name of person filing the restraining order, name of respondent, and grounds for filing the restraining order?"

"Nylah Argent and Allison Argent," dad replies, nodding his head at us, "A boy called Matt Daehler stalked them."

"Them both?" The Sheriff looks up sharply. Allison and I nod. "You spell Argent — A...R...G...E...N...T?"

"Yes," mum confirms.

"Allison has two ls or one?"

"Two," Allison responds.

"And sorry..." he trails off, looking at me, "How do you spell Nylah?"

"N...Y...L...A...H."

"Thank you."

We provide him with all the other details he asks for. Eventually, he puts his pen down on top of the application forms. "Can you provide evidence that Mr Daehler stalked you?"

I hand the memory card to him. "It has photos of me and my sister in our rooms and alone at school," I claim. "They're a bit further down. All of the photos have the dates in the upper right-hand corner. He also said he has them downloaded on his computer."

He plugs the memory card into the computer on his desk. He scrolls down. His eyebrows raise, probably when he looks at the ones of Allison and I getting changed in our rooms.

"I'm sorry you had to experience this, ladies." He reverts his attention to Allison and me. "We've had cases like this before, unfortunately."