Chapter 28

When I finally wake up, I'm in the backseat of a smart black car, jammed firmly in between Ethan and Aiden. Deucalion is in the passenger seat, and Ennis is driving the car. Kali is nowhere to be seen.

My phone is in my school bag. I have no way of contacting anyone for help... or to simply let them know I've been abducted. Great, I really am done for.

"You know, if you wanted me to come on a road trip with you so badly, all you had to do was ask," I jest, watching rows upon rows of beautiful green trees zip past.

Deucalion chuckles. "True. However, I find this much more poetic, don't you?"

"That depends on how you choose to look at it," I mumble, suspiciously watching Aiden and Ethan watch me, "While some might find this poetic, others will consider this to be a felony."

I get no answer other than Ennis's amused snort.

My curiosity takes over. "Where are we going?" I inquire, still fearful.

"It's not our place to explain, my apologies."

"Okay, well, am I in danger?"

"I can't answer that honestly, because I don't know myself," Deucalion answers.

"That's just fantastic," I groan. What is up with all of this being so cryptic?

"All I can tell you is that Elijah wants to see you."

"Elijah?" I inquire, puzzled, "Who's that?"

"You'll find out soon enough."

***

My apprehension grows as we approach a stunning cream-coloured house. A mansion. Ethan and Aiden appear to be just as awestruck as I am, eagerly goggling the high windows, arches, and pillars.

Ennis parks the car next to the huge water feature in the centre of the huge, paved driveway. Aiden helps me out and props me up, my legs wobbly and uncoordinated. The effects from the injection haven't quite worn off yet.

It takes my eyes a couple of seconds to adjust to the bright sunlight, but when they do, I notice a smart, gentlemanly-looking man standing under an arch near the front door.

He straightens the sleeves of his suit. I sense that he's nervous, though this isn't showing at all through his calm and collected exterior.

Ennis leads the group of us over to the man, his arm offered to guide Deucalion. "Elijah," Deucalion greets, "It's a pleasure to meet you again."

The man called Elijah shakes Deucalion's outstretched hand. "And you, Deucalion."

"We have brought Nylah Argent, as per your request."

"Thank you, that will be all," Elijah announces with a quiet authority I've never really come across before, peering past the alphas to look at me. "Niklaus will be in contact with you shortly."

After a curt nod, the alphas make their way back to the car. Bewildered, my gaze is fixed on Elijah as the car drives off.

Is he going to kill me? Induct me into a cult? Ask me to sell biscuits for the Girl Scouts?

"Come in," he says, holding the door open for me and gesturing for me to come inside. Obligingly, I step inside.

I ogle the place: the floors are a shiny white marble, so shiny that I can see my reflection, there are twin staircases on each side of the foyer, framed by pretty black banisters, and there's an intricate golden chandelier hanging above a huge bouquet of white roses placed on a round wooden table.