Chapter 18

The next day, Stiles, Scott, Erica, Boyd, Isaac, and Jackson don't show up at school. Really, really Strange.

"Ms Argent...s," Mr Harris says, interrupting his lesson as he glances at an email he receives on his laptop, "Principal Argent wants to see you both in his office. Now."

Allison and I glance at each other, confused, and pack our things up. Lydia frowns at the both of us as we walk out.

We sit down on separate chairs in Gerard's office, sitting rather uncomfortably. "So, who did you say you were staying with tonight?" he asks Allison.

"Just Lydia. We're prepping for our world history midterm."

"History was one of my favourites, especially military history. Ever heard the phrase, 'know thy enemy'?"

"It's from The Art of War by Sun Tzu," Allison responds.

"Very good! Know what it means?" He turns to me this time.

"One must know everything they can about one's enemy in order to win a battle," I answer, confused at what's going on.

"Right again!" He smiles. "Your father and I happen to be having that very problem — we've got an enemy about which we know next to nothing. It's killed one of our own, among others."

"I've heard," Allison responds.

I frown once more. "Uhh — grandad?" He looks at me. "I printed a copy of what I know about the Kanima and gave it to dad two days ago."

"That you did, Nylah... and while your research was helpful, that's not what I'm referring to."

"Oh." I sink back in my seat, more confused than ever.

"Did you hear Jackson Whittemore didn't show up to school today?" he inquires.

"He didn't?" Allison asks at the same time I respond with, "Yes."

I look at her sideways. What is she playing at? They're in the same class for a few subjects. What does she know??

Gerard looks between the both of us, arching an amused eyebrow. "His parents called, and so did the police. You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"

Allison and I both shake our head. I genuinely have no clue, other than Scott and Stiles being involved.

"Well, let me tell you what I know — I know that a teenager's first instinct is to protect their friends, and I believe my granddaughters would always protect their friends, even if it meant lying. So, I want to ask one more question, and this time, with a small advantage."

He walks behind us and places two fingers on each of our necks. "I'm not going to hurt you," he claims when he sees Allison flinch slightly, "I just want to get a sense of your pulse. Think of it as a game — all you have to do is tell the truth."

What kind of sick game is this?

"Do you know anything about Jackson being missing?" Gerard queries.

"No," Allison and I respond simultaneously.

"Is he in trouble?"