Chapter 12

This past week and a bit has been really difficult.

My wound still hasn't healed and I've been feeling physically weak, dizzy, and lethargic. I hope Peter brushes — sorry, brushed — his teeth often, otherwise what I'm experiencing is probably as a result of an infection from the bite. Disgusting.

We're all mourning Kate. Yes, she was a cold-blooded killer, but she still meant a lot to me... to us.

Lydia is still in hospital, but she seems to be making a recovery, which is good. I've visited her twice to check up on her. Both times, Stiles was there. I think he's been there the whole time. His crush on her is really endearing.

As for Allison and Scott? They've been sneaking around, doing as they please despite the warnings my parents have given both of them. I cover for them, of course. They actually make a pretty cute couple.

My parents have permitted me to see Isaac a couple of times after school, which is when I've been able to catch him up on what happened with Peter, Derek, Scott, Kate... everyone. He seemed pretty confused that I'm not a werewolf even though I was bitten by Peter, but I explained that these sort of things simply happen by chance.

We've been to the library to study Chemistry, to the coffee shop a couple of times, and he always walks me home. It's been great getting to know him better.

***

Without saying goodbye, dad and mum leave in two SUVs with a couple of other Hunters.

A short while later, I hear someone's car pulling into the driveway. Surely they're not back already? I frown, confused, and open my blinds. In the darkness, I see Stiles's Jeep. What the?

I tug a hoodie over my matching pyjama shorts and tank top and run out my room. Allison and I almost collide into each other at the top of the staircase.

"What's going on?" I gasp.

"It's Lydia," she answers worriedly, "She's disappeared."

Not wasting another second, we hurtle down the staircase and dash to the car. Allison gets into the backseat because Scott is there, so I clamber into the front seat.

"And the missions continue," I remark. Stiles glances over at me, grim.

"I can find her before the cops can," Scott replies.

"How about before our father does?" Allison asks.

"He knows???" Stiles inquires, sighing.

"Yeah. I just saw him and three other guys leave my house in two SUVs."

"... search party," Scott says.

"More like a hunting party," Allison replies.

Ten minutes later, we end up at Derek's house because Scott claims the scent leads here. Cautiously, we walk through the woods, not wanting to make much noise.

"Woah, hey! Look at this! You see this? I think it's a tripwire."

"Stiles, no!" I interject, rushing over to him. I'm too late. He trips it. Scott goes flying into the air and hangs upside-down, his arms dangling. I clap my hand over my face.

"Stiles—" Scott says, exasperated. Allison and I giggle.

"Yeah, buddy." He turns around. "...oh."

"Next time you see a tripwire? Don't trip it."

Stiles shifts from foot to foot, a little guilty. "Yeah... noted."

"Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait! Someone's coming!" Scott warns, "Hide!"