Chapter 31

I wake up early the next day, my throat raw and my eyes puffy from crying all night.

In a split second, I make my decision. I'm going to school to write my maths test, and then I'm going to stay in Mystic Falls for a couple days.

I honestly couldn't be bothered with school right now, but I still want to show my face so no one can think I'm running away from my problems... namely, Isaac, because relationship drama is all that people discuss at school. No one cares that my aunt, mum, and friends died — it's simply not as entertaining to talk about like break-ups and who-cheated-on-who is.

I shower and wash my hair. Then, I do my skincare, swipe dark eyeshadow over my eyelids, apply mascara to hide my puffy eyes, and smear cherry-tinted lipgloss over my lips.

I put on a peach shape-wear tank top, a black denim skirt, black stockings, black knee-high heeled leather boots, and big gold hoop earrings with small peach tassels attached to them.

Hastily, I pack my things in a black duffel bag: toiletries, clothes, schoolwork and stuff I need for assignments, chargers, and a knife... just in case.

I walk out of my room and put my duffel bag and schoolbag by the front door. "Morning dad," I greet, turning the coffee machine on.

He's already drinking coffee and working on something on his laptop. "Morning, sweetheart." He looks up. "Oh. Are you planning on leaving?"

"If that's okay...?" I inquire, watching the espresso flow through the machine into a big mug. "I'm going to school to write the maths test, and then I wanted to leave for Mystic Falls." I turn to look at him while I pour boiling water and milk into my mug. "I just can't face it anymore."

"That's okay, sweetheart. I know. You've never taken time off school, and frankly, I think now is a good time to do so. I just want you safe, alright?"

I nod. "Where's Allie?"

"Gone to school already. She told me she feels awkward about, um... you know."

I sigh. "Oh. Yeah. Yeah. Ugh." I pour boiling water and milk into my mug.

"In my opinion, Nylah? You're better off without Isaac. That is not behaviour you want a boyfriend to have... I'm not saying he's a bad kid, I'm just saying he's not right for you."

"Yeah." I sigh. "Yeah. Yeah, I know. Thanks dad."

"I am mad, though," dad confesses, his gaze hardening. "You give me the word, and I'll deal with him."

I chuckle feebly. "Thanks dad. But there's really no need. Like you said, I'm better off without him."

He nods. "You're a strong girl." He sips his coffee. "You can get the keys from Allison and take your car to Mystic Falls," he suggests. "I'll fetch her from school."

"Thank you," I respond, taking a sip of my own coffee.

"How long are you going for?"

"One or two days, maybe?" I respond uncertainly. "I'm not too sure..."

"Okay. You just let me know, sweetie. I'll write to the headmaster to excuse you." He gestures at a large envelope with an ornately-written "Nylah Mikaelson" on the face of it. "This came for you incredibly early this morning."

"Really? My first piece of mail!!" I exclaim. Yes, even something as mundane as receiving mail is quite exciting the first time.

"The delivery didn't adhere to postoffice hours." Dad's eyebrow furrows in confusion. "Three in the morning...?"

"That is weird," I remark, reaching for the envelope. I flip it over. On the back is a red seal, embossed with an emblem — an "M" is positioned in the centre of a shield. Whose family crest could this be, other than the Mikaelsons?