Chapter 29

"Dad?"

"Where the HELL are you?!" dad's voice thunders through Elijah's phone, which I'm currently borrowing.

My heart racing, I hold the phone away from my ear, which has just been assaulted by dad's loudness. "I'm here. I'm okay."

"You just disappeared yesterday!! Your bags are still here — in the hallway!! Your phone is still here! Your coffee has spilt all over the ground, which I know for a fact you'd never let happen! You'd rather fail a test — die, even — than spill coffee!! And no note! What's going on?? You've been driving everyone crazy! Where are you??"

"Um." I glance at Elijah, who's waiting patiently with his hands tucked into his trouser pockets, amused at the coffee part of the rant. "Mystic Falls."

"Mystic Falls?! Wha— that's two hours away!!"

"I know, I know..." I trail off, making a decision right then and there, "I promise I'll tell you everything. I'll be home tomorrow."

Upon hearing that I'm staying the night again, a small smile fixes on Elijah's face.

I hear a frustrated sigh on the other line. "And you're definitely safe there?" dad inquires, "Who are you staying with? What are you doing there? Do you know how bad this sounds, Nylah? How could you just take off like that?"

Well... I wasn't really given a choice, now was I?

"Yes dad, I promise I'm safe. I'm staying with friends," I reply evasively, grimacing at Elijah, "And I'm trying to learn more about my... um, abilities."

Another heavy sigh. "Alright, alright... be safe, Nylah. I still don't like this, but if you're okay, then... fine. You owe me an explanation when you get back."

"Yes, dad," I utter, feeling guilty for how much stress I've caused him.

"If you need me to come and drive over there to fetch you, just let me know. It doesn't matter if it's midnight or two in the morning."

"Thanks, dad."

"Okay, Nylah. Be safe."

"Bye, dad. See you."

He hangs up.

"So... how about grabbing lunch?" Elijah suggests, neatly tucking his phone into his blazer pocket.

"That would be great!"

***

Elijah and I step into the Mystic Grill and head over to a small table. A very warm, cosy atmosphere has been created in this place: dimmed lights and brown leather furniture, the comforting smell of coffee and good food, and the low, friendly buzz of people chatting. I like it.

As soon as we sit down, a blonde-haired, blue-eyed guy, who looks slightly older than me, comes over to take our order.

"Ah, Donovan," Elijah announces.

"Hello, Elijah," the guy greets with what looks like a small grimace before turning to me with slight confusion, "And...?"

"Nylah."

He nods with a small, polite smile. "What can I get you both?"

Quickly, I whip a menu open and scan it hastily as Elijah answers, "I'll get a glass of bourbon and the sirloin steak, please. Medium rare."

My eyes snap up on him. I giggle. "I'll get the falafel bowl, please, and the largest cappuccino humanly possible," I say, handing my menu to 'Donovan'.