Chapter 14

After school the following day (which, by the way, is the first time I found out that Gerard is "Principal" and has kicked Principal Thomas to goodness-knows-where), Scott and I go to the ice rink to persuade Boyd not to get the bite.

My excuse to my parents is that I'm at Stiles's house, working on a Chemistry project that we should've done a long time ago — I know fully well my parents don't have Mr Stilinski's number and don't know where he lives.

Scott and I stroll through the front door of the ice rink, getting greeted by a cold gust of wind.

Boyd is sitting on an ice rink roller thing... what do they call it again? An ice resurfacer? I don't know. What I do know is that it looks fun to operate.

"Boyd," Scott calls, stepping onto the ice, "We just wanna talk..."

I slip and almost fall flat on my face, but Scott steadies me by grasping my elbows.

"Did Derek tell you everything?" he asks, "And I don't mean going out of control on full moons — I mean everything."

"He told me about the Hunters."

"And that's not enough for you to say no?" Scott inquires, surprised. "Whatever you want, there's other ways to get it."

"I just wanna not eat lunch alone every day."

My heart hurts for him. There are too many lonely people in this world, through no fault of their own. "You've got me now, Boyd."

He nods. "And that was great, but I mean every day."

"If you're looking for friends, you can do a lot better than Derek," Scott claims.

My eyes widen as Derek, Isaac, and Erica step onto the ice.

Isaac. Isaac is there. He's wearing a black leather jacket — something I've never seen him wear before. Damn he looks good. He's just radiating confidence.

Why does he have to be so hot when he's on Derek's side, whom Scott and I are firmly opposed to right now?

"That really hurts, Scott," Derek claims, pretending to be offended.

I laugh bitingly. Everyone's attention snaps on me, including Isaac. "No," I respond, "What hurts is you giving me a concussion and brain bleed severe enough to make me stay overnight in the hospital."

I turn to Boyd, who's eyes are widened in surprise. I guess Derek must've left out the part where he, being a fully-grown man, hospitalised a teenage girl.

"Boyd, please," I plead, "He doesn't actually care about you. He's just doing this to make himself stronger. He'll hurt you just like he's hurt us."

"Interesting," Derek remarks, "I mean, if you're both going to review me, at least take a consensus." He glances over his shoulder at Erica. "Erica, how's life been for you since we met?"

"Hmm. In a word? Transformative." She bares her fangs, smiling as she snarls at Scott and me.

"Isaac?" Derek asks, smug.

Isaac is standing there, his hands in his pockets. He's taller than Derek, even. "Well, I'm a little bummed about being a fugitive... but other than that, I'm great."