Chapter Sixteen ~ Russia

"Sorry about my first night here dude. I over reacted, it was my fault."

Did I really just hear what I think I heard? That child just apologized?

"Aahh... It is in de past. No hard feelings da?" What am I saying? I thought I was supposed to hate this guy? But the way he actually cares for his country, and how determined he was when cooking... Now that I think about it, he really hasn't complained all that much about his injuries... He isn't blaming me for that first night... I suppose he isn't as much of a child as I first thought. I really did misunderstand him.

"Cool bro! I'm glad." Alfred takes another bite of his burger, and I do the same with mine.

It really was good. Not something I would eat on a regular basis, but something I would eat every now and then.

Silence.

"So when do you think the snow will melt?" Alfred asks me.

"I honestly do not know. Dere have been times were it has melted in days. Others in months." Alfred nods his head, but for once he doesn't look completely crestfallen.

Silence.

"Bro, what do you normally do to pass the time like this? It has to get pretty lonely." How does he know that?

"Ah well, I suppose I work out, read, take a stroll through the house. I don't mind being alone." Do I?

Silence.

But this time, I'm the first one to break it. "What have you been doing the past few days? I have not seen de much of you."

"I'll sit in my room and think I guess. I found some books on a bookshelf in there I like so I've been reading those. Man, the hours seem to drag on though with no one to hang out with. I'm a people person." He finishes up his two burgers and reaches for a third.

I don't know what to say next. So I just blurt out my next thought. "Ah would you like to have a drink with me tonight?"

He looks up at me. "Like alcohol?"

God I'm so stupid! He probably doesn't drink! What am I doing?

My ears burn ever so slightly. "Well, yes. I have plenty of vodka and a bit of beer."

"Well.... I'm technically too young... But Mr. President isn't here to mother me soooo.... Sure I'd love to have a drink! Maybe it will help pass the time!" He seems content to have something to look forward to.

And I can't but help look forward to a drink as well. Why did I not think of this earlier?