Chapter Twenty ~ Russia

I can't quite explain it, but holding Alfred, feeling his chest rise and fall against mine, his toes almost tickling my feet, his arms tangled aroundy waist, relaxes me so much.

I'm not even watching the movie, I simply close my eyes, lean my head back, stroke Alfred's hair, and relish the moment.

Alfred had asked me earlier, why the sudden change of heart. I kept asking myself that too. But I realized that I was always so lonely, I hated it. But I was the one to cause my loneliness. I was the one to push others away. And I realized I could change all that with Alfred.

Sure, it might have been sudden, but I don't regret my decision in the least.

As I let my thoughts drift, I notice the movie credits rolling down the screen, a sad song playing. Alfred hasn't moved in a while, his breath completely even and slow, so I don't move to change the movie for fear of possibly waking the American.

I can see a sliver of drool threatening to spill down his chin. Alfred's face is completely relaxed, his eyelids the only thing moving as they twitch endlessly.

He is cute when he sleeps. I can't help but to smile at him, wishing this moment would never end. How did he fall asleep though? We just woke up a few hours ago.

My stomach turns, making a rumbling noise, and I realize I have yet to eat anything today. Neither has Alfred. I suppose he won't be upset if I wake him up for food.

"Alfred" I whisper softly in his ear to not scare him awake. He doesn't budge.

Damn him, he can sleep through anything. I think back to the second day he was here when I had to throw steaming coffee on him to wake him up. And even then it didn't work right away.

I can feel regret creeping into me, and I do my best to brush it away, deciding all is forgiven between us.

I will even forgive him for almost breaking my nose. It was just knocked out of place and bruised a bit.

He will forgive me for the concussion, I will forgive him for the hot soup and bowl in my face, he will forgive the terror of the dark, I will forgive the screaming in my ear first thing in the morning.

There is more we need to forgive each other for, but I do believe all that is behind us. We both had our times being in the wrong, we both have been hurt. So we will both forgive and forget. I just know it.

I sit up, and Alfred moves a tiny bit, but settles back in his slumber again.

"Alfred wake up." I say this a little loudly so he might wake up. "Alfred, please." His nose twitches. I do my best to imitate the American's boss "ALFRED F. JONES!"

It comes out shrill and not at all how I planned, but it succeeds in jerking the American out of his sleep, looking around confused.

I can't help but laugh, "Sorry Alfred, I don't know how else to wake you up." I smile as his face lights up a moment after I talk.

"It's cool bro! Arthur always did have trouble waking me up! I'm a really heavy sleeper." His face softens as he thinks about his basically-father country.

They might argue a lot, but you could always tell they cared for eachother.

"Well, we missed breakfast and it's almost time for de lunch so what would you like to eat?"

He shrugs and laughs back, "I don't care bro! I'm hungry for whatever you make." He looks at me, and I realize we are only inches apart, but I'm so much colder when I'm not holding him.

I push away the urge to hold him longer and I stand up, throwing the blanket back on the bed. With out waiting for Alfred, I stroll out of my room, down the hallway, and into the kitchen.

I rummage through some of the cabinets, and I notice Alfred stands near the hallway awkwardly.

"You may look as well, I can't seem to find anyding to eat." I really can't.

I hear Alfred open the fridge, and start to move things around as I am on the other end of the kitchen, staring at a can of peas and trying to think of something to make.

All of a sudden, I hear Alfred scream-yell. I turn around quickly to see what happened, "What's wro-"

Alfred stands in front of the fridge, a purple flower in his hands. The same flower he so dearly loves. The same one I hid in the fridge and lied to him about, telling him I accidently left it in his jacket. The same one I was planning to give to him right before he left.

Tears flow from Alfred's blue eyes, trailing down his cheeks, and a smile takes up half his face.

Before I can say anything, and careful not to crush the flower, Alfred runs over to me, crashing a hug on me.

As he holds me he practically yells, "Thankyouthankyouthankyou! You are amazing! You're the best! You're beautiful! I'm so happy! I lov-" His voice cuts off abruptly, and he slowly peels his arms off me, staring at his flower. Both or our faces are a deep red shade.

Did he just say that? Did he mean it? Do I want him to mean it? Do I want to hear that? Yes, I want him to say that so badly.

He goes to walk away, still embarrassed to what he almost said, and I grab his wrist, pulling him back into a hug. Again, I feel his warmth, and after a moment his arms wrap around me again.

"S-sorry dude." He sounds nervouse.

I also sound nervouse, "F-for what?"

It's quiet for a moment, and I can barely hear Alfred whisper, "For meaning it."

I want to burst out laughing, joy and relief intermingling in me. And before I can help myself, I whisper in his ear "I love you too."

I'm so embarrassed, I nuzzle my face in his hair, careful of the cowlick and laugh lightly.

He must feel equally embarrassed, because he presses his face into my shoulder. Neither of us pull apart, and we stand like that for many minutes.

That's when I notice his smell. It smells unique. In a good way. It is something familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it. What is it? It is almost like... Corn. But there is something else too. Is that oak wood?

"Alfred?"

"Yeah dude?"

"You smell like corn and oak tree."

"Do I? I hope it's not bad. But you smell like sunflowers and vodka. You smell good."

I can't help but laugh, "Aahh well dank you. And no, you do not smell bad. It's pleasant."

He leans back, and looks at me, smiling. "Good. I've never been told I smell like that. Normally people tell me I smell like the exhaust from a city. But I guess right now it's the season in some of my states to detassle, and I've been helping some of my kids with the job on my off days. That's why I smell like corn."

"Aahh, I see. Dat makes sense." I smile at him, and again my stomach rumbles. "Shall we continue the search?"

~AN~
*sigh* I'm so bored right now -_- and I feel like its rubbing off on this story. But I have nothing else to do but write! Ah well, I still like this chapter. Im think all the rest of the chapters are going to be fluffy. With a few bumps in the road of course. Can't let the story get boring!!! Well..... I think thats all I have to say for that particular author's note. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy, let me know what you think, and sweet dreams!
~Blü~

Btw:
Ivan = Russia
Alfred = America