Chapter Twenty Five ~ America

Four months. A third of the year. Seventeen weeks. One hundred and nineteen days. Each one twenty two hours too long before I could see him again. It's finally time for another world meeting. And it's at my American home. It's perfect and I'm going to take complete advantage of this opportunity. In five days I'll have three days of meetings with the other countries. After that he will stay with me for a week. That's eight days until I can spend alone time with him. It doesn't seem fair that I have to wait eight days to see someone for seven days. But that's how it works and I'm going to have to deal with it.

I tap my papers on my desk for the tenth time today, realigning the already aligned stack. A glance at the clock tells me it's only eight am.

This sucks.

I sigh, lean back in my chair and stare at the endlessly white ceiling above me.
There's a knock on my door followed by a soft "Alfred?"

"Come in mom" she wasn't my real mom but She acted like it.

My president for the past two years walks in, sugar cookie in hand. She sits in the chair across from me and hands me one.

For the first time a while I really get a good look at Celena. She has a pixie hair cut, natural blonde. She has stress wrinkles on her forehead but besides that she still looks younger than she is. Her clothes look professional but there are wrinkles in her shirt and I can tell she has also had a slow start to the day.

I take a bite of the cookie she offers me. "What's up Mr. president?"

She smiles at our little joke. "I just wanted to check on you. You've seemed so... distracted lately. Are you okay?"

This catches me off guard. I thought I was acting like I always did. But mom has always been able to see through me. I chuckle. "Yeah I'm okay. I have been distracted though."

She waits for me to reply and I don't. "With?"

I suppose there's no point in lying to her. She's a psychic. "I'm nervous about the world meeting." Not the full truth but not a lie.

"Why? You're usually so excited about them. Does it have something to do with what happened?"

I know what she's talking about. Being stuck in his house for weeks. I didn't talk much about it. Just said that I stayed there for one night and woke up the next day to being snowed in. I didn't say anything more. I didn't want anyone to know what was going on between him and I. I called him yes but it was always in private.

Now I'm nervous I'm going to see him and the secret will be out. The other countries will see my face when I look at him and they will know. They will know what we did and they will judge us.

I can't have that. I couldn't like with the look on Mathews and Wirth it's faces. I couldn't explain that to the other countries. But perhaps I could confess it to my president. She was the one I was closest to.

"Yes and no. I haven't told you anything but... I started developing feelings for Ivan when we were stuck together." I pause and wait for her lashing out at me telling me it's inappropriate and that I shouldn't have gone over there.

Instead she smiles softly at me. "Is that what you're actually nervous about?"

A tense in my shoulders I didn't know I had releases and I sigh, "yeah it is. I don't want the other countries to judge us but I'm scared Ivan and I will make eye contact and they will know."

"Oh Alfred. You shouldn't be worried about that hun. If you don't want them to know then just act like you always do. But also don't be afraid to tell the other countries. Plenty of them are in relationships. Be yourself. You know who you are."