• 𝐭 𝐡 𝐫 𝐞 𝐞 •

[Warnings: Slight NSFW content ahead]

I stare blankly at nothing as I wait for the the elevator doors to open.

My lungs let out a shaky breath as I struggle to stand straight. The weight of responsibility dawning on me as it gets heavier and heavier with each passing second.

I... have severely overestimated myself.

Right now, it feels worse than the moment Mr. Sharma announced that project Nirvana has won the deal. That sudden drop in my confidence, ambition, and motivation as I thought about the future consequences and challenges for my company and my career.

I still feel the shock of emotions when my ears slowly processed his every word. My pale face is the proof of what I'm going through right now. A sense of disbelief, anger, and disappointment when I saw Aarav stand up, smirking and shaking hands of Mr. Sharma as the other executives applause.

He looked triumphant, relieved, and happy as he realized that he had won the deal over me. For a brief moment, he looked at me, meeting my gaze. And I tried my level best not to roll my eyes at him.

He started smirking even wider when he noticed how pale my face has gotten. But I didn't let anything show through mine. I just simply stared at them as I gave a half-assed smile. Nodding and clapping with the executives. I shook my head and tried to hide my emotions as I forced a smile and congratulated Mr. Sharma and Aarav.

I'd worked hard on this project for months. I was sure of myself, my team and our achievements.

I hurriedly pressed the button to call the elevator, willing it to arrive faster. I waited, my nails practically digging in my palms as I fight an onslaught of emotions threatening to spill over.

Right now, one of the worst feeling dawning on me is that I've failed Aryan and my father. They had so much expectations with me and I've just terribly performed in this deal.

I am completely not suitable for running this company.

The disappointment roared loudest-all my hopes and ambitions crushed in an instant by Mr. Sharma's words. Phoenix was my passion, my pride, and to see it get rejected stabbed deep into the crevices of my heart.

Doubts swirled too, unwanted whispers swells in my head.

Perhaps I wasn't good enough after all. Have I misunderstood Innovatech's needs? Overlooked some key factor Aarav had seen? The frustration of not knowing felt like it was burning my throat.

Why the hell do I feel like I've been fired from my job?

Beneath everything, a familiar thought is eating me the most-the insecurity of being a young woman in a field still dominated by men. What if biasness had tilted the scales, no matter my merits?