• 𝐭 𝐰 𝐞 𝐧 𝐭 𝐲 𝐨 𝐧 𝐞 •

A a r a v

I sighed, trying to school my features into a calm mask once more. I looked back at Alex, finding my reaction had been far too intense. Taking a calming breath, I said, "I...it wasn't right to touch a lady's back like that. That's why I reacted the way I did."

Even to my own ears, the words sounded ridiculous. Alex merely chuckled, not taking any offense. "Gotta say mate, you really had me there for a second." he said, clasping my shoulder with a firm squeeze.

I glanced at Meher, taking in her puzzled expression. Nothing I could say would hide the possessive instincts I'd just displayed.

Alex seemed to sense the tension, graciously making his exit. "Well, my work here is done. I'll leave you both to it." He flashed Meher a parting smile as he slipped out the door.

An uncomfortable silence fell over us. I moved to sit across from Meher, not quite meeting her piercing gaze.

What the hell happened to me in that moment?

I remember walking towards my cabin when I saw the lights switched on. I peered through the glassed windows to see Meher coughing frantically with a glass of water in her hand. And then Alex offering his handkerchief to her, Meher pressing it over her lips. Him motioning towards her back.

It seemed they're slowly cozying up to each other.

I don't why, but it made my blood boil.

Something primal had taken over at the sight of another man touching what I'd slowly come to recognize as mine.

I told myself it was mere protectiveness, but something deeper lurked beneath the surface that I wasn't ready to acknowledge.

As the door clicked shut, tension hung heavy in the sudden silence. I felt suffocated in my own clothes, as if they were constraining shackles. I roughly took off my coat, plopping them unceremoniously on the chair. "Forgive him.. he sometimes acts a bit too nonchalant with literally anyone."

I tugged off my tie, loosening before collapsing into the chair opposite Meher, I dragged a hand down my face wearily. Her probing stare demanded answers I wasn't even sure I possessed myself.

"Why did you react like that towards Alex?" Meher asked pointedly, breaking the tense silence.

I sighed, dragging a hand down my face as I searched for an explanation. The truth was, I didn't fully understand it myself.

"Listen, Alex is...not the kind of person I'd want you to be around," I said evenly, hoping that it would suffice.

"And why is that?" She frowned.

I knew she wouldn't let it go that easily. Rubbing the back of my neck, I admitted, "I've known Alex for years. He's a bit of a... womanizer."

"And you're not?" Meher just raised an unimpressed eyebrow.

Inhaling sharply, I replied in a clipped tone, "We're talking about Alex, not me. I don't feel comfortable with you spending time alone with him, given his reputation." Meher's retort irritated me more than I cared to admit.

"So, it's okay for you to flirt around but if I talk to someone it's a problem?" She scoffed.

"I'm just looking out for your best interests here," I said through gritted teeth. Her double standards struck a nerve. I knew my past wasn't spotless, but this wasn't about me.

"By dictating who I can and can't interact with?" Meher shot back incredulously.

I dragged a hand down my face in frustration. Why did she have to be so stubbornly argumentative? Taking a calming breath, I softened my tone. "Meher, trust that I have your welfare in mind. Alex isn't the kind of man you want influencing you."