• 𝐭 𝐰 𝐞 𝐧 𝐭 𝐲 𝐭 𝐰 𝐨 •

A a r a v

I sighed, trying to accept the reality of the situation I now found myself in. As much as I disliked this arrangement, there was little choice left but to go through with it.

My brooding thoughts were interrupted by a familiar voice. "So how are you feeling, chote?"

(Small [usually referred to a little brother])

Turning around, I saw Manav watching me with an almost pitying smile. Instantly, my frustration spiked.

"How do you think?" I rolled my eyes at him.

Manav chuckled. "I'd be less than thrilled too if I were in your shoes." He clasped a sympathetic hand on my shoulder. "But it could be worse. At least you and Meher didn't rip each other's throats out."

I knew he meant well, but his platitudes didn't make me feel much better. This engagement was stifling, tying me down against my will.

As if sensing my irritation, Manav changed tack. "Come now, cheer up. The night is still young! And who knows, you may come to see this marriage differently in time." He raised his brows suggestively.

"Don't be ridiculous." I scoffed. "This is a marriage of convenience, nothing more."

A small, traitorous part of me wondered if Manav's optimism held some truth.

Shaking my head to clear it, I reminded myself this was just business. Our partnership came with responsibilities I intended to uphold dutifully, nothing more.

Anything else would only lead to greater complications down the road.

We were discussing last-minute plans for the ceremony when the door opened, interrupting our conversation.

My mother entered the room in a swish of peach silk, glittering bangles dancing on her wrists.

"Aarav, what are you doing hiding in here?" she chided lightly, though I detected traces of worry behind her smile. "The guests will be arriving soon."

"Just going over a few details with Manav." I smiled tiredly at her. "You know how father can be—wanting everything to be perfect."

Mother sighed understandingly, her eyes filled with sympathy. "I understand, beta. Being forced into... something like this can't have been easy for you."

(Son)

She walked over, placing a gentle hand on my chest, she continued. "I just hope this Meher girl doesn't make your life any harder than it already is."

A tense smile pulled at my lips as I nodded again, not wanting to worry her further. But Mother saw right through me.

"I know because it doesn't seem like you are very happy about this arrangement." she said softly. "I don't know about her.. but it's going to benefit you a lot in the future, okay?"

I let out a long breath. How could I explain the complicated agreement Meher and I had come to, without causing more trouble?

Mother patted my arm reassuringly. "It's okay, you can trust me. I only want your happiness, beta, you know that right?"

Her kind eyes and unconditional support eased something inside. Slowly, I nodded but nothing came out of my mouth.

"Mum..." I said, hoping to steer the conversation elsewhere. But she squeezed my arm understandingly.

"I know this wasn't your choice, beta. Marriage is difficult under the best circumstances." Her hand rubbed my back gently. "Just promise me you'll be careful with that girl, Meher. Business families can be so cunning."