• 𝐟 𝐨 𝐮 𝐫 𝐭 𝐞 𝐞 𝐧 •

𝐌 𝐞 𝐡 𝐞 𝐫

"Tell me," I finally managed. He held my stare a moment longer, then spoke.

"We went to Germany, to the Solaris headquarters," Aarav began, his face tense with a mix of frustration and urgency.

"Alex and I managed to get inside their gala, pretending we wanted to discuss partnerships." He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "But when I finally got access to the filing room..."

I leaned in, holding my breath. Aarav met my eyes grimly. "The contracts were gone, Arora. The entire shelves... folders, just...emptied out. No trace of where they've been moved to."

A shock of cold ran through me. As if someone dumped an entire ice-cold water bucket on my head. All our work, our hopes... gone without a trace? I struggled to process this latest blow.

Aarav watched me closely, his irritation slightly growing by each second. "I grilled every employee I could find, but no one seems to know anything. It's like the folder disappeared into thin air."

He sighs wearily, rubbing a hand over his face. "A complete waste of my fucking time," Aarav muttered, dragging a hand through his hair in frustration as he turned away from me.

My jaw clenched. "Don't you think I realize that?"

He whirled to face me, eyes blazing. "Do you? This was your big plan - fight them on their terms. And where has it gotten us?"

I bristled. "I was trying to resolve this the clean way. Not some back alley scheme."

"The clean way is clearly not working!" He threw his hands up. "Those contracts are nowhere to be found because someone high up doesn't want them found."

My temper flared to match his. "So it's my fault now, is it? For believing in due process?"

"I'm saying your faith in the system has blinded you!" Aarav stepped closer, chest heaving. "While you waited for rulings, they destroyed evidence. And now our case is hanging by a thread."

My throat tightened with anger, tears of frustration pricking my eyes. I refused to back down. "I made the best call I could with the information at hand. Unless you have a better solution?"

"Dammit!" Aarav kicked at a lonely stone angrily. All the frustration he'd been holding in came bursting out. "This was a fucking waste of time. We're back to square one."

I hissed back at his outburst. "Don't take this out on me. I didn't make those files disappear."

He rounded on me, eyes blazing as he hissed, clearly trying his best to keep his voice in control. "But it was your idea to sign those godforsaken contracts with Solaris in the first place. Isn't it?... Meher Arora?"

I flinched but met his gaze evenly. "Low blow, Aarav Rathore. As if I knew this would happen."

"Well maybe if you hadn't been so hasty to agree-"

"Enough!" I snapped, temper fraying. "We don't have time for blame games. We need to figure out our next move."

"What next move?! We have nothing!" He threw his hands up in frustration, taking a step back from me. "Face it Meher, your brilliant plan has failed. And it has ruined everything."

Rage surged within me at his words. "Oh don't put this all on me! You're equally to blame for rushing off to Germany without a plan."

Aarav laughed bitterly at my words as if it's a sick joke. "At least I'm trying to do something, not sitting on my hands hoping for miracles."