• 𝐭 𝐰 𝐞 𝐧 𝐭 𝐲 𝐭 𝐡 𝐫 𝐞 𝐞 •

𝐌 𝐞 𝐡 𝐞 𝐫

I swear to god, this bobby pin is digging into my scalp. I winced irritably as my aunts fussed over me yet again.

"Meher beti, you look absolutely gorgeous!" gushed Auntie Priya, pinching my cheek a little too hard. Pretty sure she almost ruined my foundation yet, I smiled politely at her.

(Daughter)

"The sari is divine. But are you sure you want to show so much skin? Your clevage looks so exposed beta! Better cover it up! It's a family function." Auntie Shanti eyed my neckline critically. I resisted the urge to scoff as my eyes narrowed at her exposed pot belly but, I didn't say anything.

"And your jewellery is so understated," complained Auntie Usha. "Where are the heavy bangles and chokers? You look practically barefaced. Should have gone for something more glamorous, no?"

I suppressed a sigh. Nothing was ever enough for these aunties and their insatiable need for gossips.

As if the extra bling would distract from my qualifications as a successful CEO.

"The ensemble is perfect as it is," I said diplomatically but firmly. "Simple yet elegant, don't you agree?"

Aunt Usha grudgingly conceded with a nod. But Aunt Shanti wasn't so easily deterred. "No harm in covering up a bit more though. Wouldn't want any distractions on your special day!"

Her pointed look said everything. I sighed tiredly.

I guess, there's no other option left.

"I appreciate the concern." I offered a knowing smile. "But Aarav assures me any 'distractions' will be quite welcome."

And all of their mouths hung open consecutively.

That'll shut them up, finally, as they tittered discreetly into their sleeves.

"Distractions, huh?"

I froze at the familiar voice.

I whipped around to see Aarav leaning on the porch column with his arms crossed-a smug grin that made my blood boil.

Heat rushed into my cheeks as I immediately averted my gaze to that lonely pebble on the sidewalk.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about." I could feel my cheeks burning as Aarav chuckled lightly at my obvious fuming. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw his eyes glide over my attire.

"Distractions, hmm?" he repeated in an amused tone. "And here I thought you found my company tedious." His sly smirk told me he had been eavesdropping-and thoroughly enjoyed the way I handled the aunties.

"Don't flatter yourself. I was merely trying to get rid of them." I kept my gaze fixed on the pebble, refusing to give him the satisfaction of seeing me more flustered.

He hummed, obviously not buying it. "Yes, of course. Although... despite your aunts' complaints, you've successfully distracted every single person here in that sari."

God fucking dammit.

Him and his smooth compliments. Against my will, I glanced up to find him looking me with an infuriatingly charming smile.

"Thanks." I replied stiffly, inwardly cursing at the traitorous flutter in my stomach as. We both knew I wasn't entirely immune to his charms, much as I tried to remain indifferent.

Aarav's grin widened, seeing through my facade as usual. But before he could tease me further, Reyansh called us inside to begin the ceremony. I sighed in relief.