Chapter 1: What Remains

It has been two weeks since the Demon King's downfall and the Swordsman Link and Princess Zelda are recovering from their struggle against their ancient foe. Zelda, finding it hard to move after spending centuries asleep as an immortal dragon, remains at Lookout Landing building her strength. Despite his own injuries Link is ever by her side helping her return to a normal life, or as normal as life gets for these two heroes.

Zelda: Link, will you stop your fretting, I'm fine really.
Link steps back
Link: Okay then, walk to me.
Zelda stands shakily but confidently, stumbling after a few steps but is caught before hitting the floor
Link: See, you haven't recovered your strength.
Link sits Zelda and himself on her bed holding her closely
Link: When you returned from seeing Mineru off you could barely move, you are strong of heart, let your body catch up.
Zelda: (sighs) You're right, but I'm sick and tired of staying in this emergency shelter. I want to see the sky, the sun, the moon, and the stars, I want to see the world again. No matter how wonderful the company is I feel cooped up like a bird in a cage.
Link: Well then, there is but one solution.
Zelda with a curious look: And what would that be?
Link: I will be your legs, I will hold you till you can walk confidently and without faltering like you used to.
Zelda: You have already done so much for me, I don't want to be a burden, something to be carried around like a sack.
Link: You will be less of a burden than the master sword is and you are not a sack to be picked up and put down, you are Zelda, princess of Hyrule, being aided by someone who cares. Please, it hurts me to see you like this, you don't need to do this alone, let me help you.
Zelda blushing: Okay, and thank you.

Link picks Zelda up on his back and climbs the ladder out of the shelter. As Zelda approaches the surface she feels the cool early morning air and sees the first sunrise in many a day. As if a weight was lifted Zelda feels a modicum of strength return, if it's real or just an illusion she is not sure. The first place Zelda wants to go is to see Purah, who on arrival is elated to see Zelda up and about.

Purah: So tell me Linky, do you think you can keep this up?
Link with a cheesy grin: I rush from one end of Hyrule to the other, combat giant monstrosities, do what many consider impossible, take a guess.
Purah: Just teasing, you have always had the capacity for otherworldly strength. So Zelda, how are feeling?
Zelda: Like normal, I just wish my legs would catch on.
Link: Josha will you find Zelda a chair, we should be having some visitors soon.
Zelda and Josha: Visitors?!
Purah: Right it's been two days since the sages left to get them, they should be arriving any minute now.
Zelda a little flustered: What's going on? Who is coming? Who are the sages bringing?
Link: I have a pleasant surprise for you, I know there is something you have wanted to do, people you wanted to see again so the sages and I have arranged a little surprise for you.
Zelda:(thinking) People I have been wanting to see...a pleasant surprise?

Two Days Earlier

Yunobo: So who are we looking for?
Tulin: Did you forget already?
Yunobo: I...well, I tend to forget things when I haven't had a rock roast in a while.
Tulin little embarrassed: I understand, although I don't think I could eat rocks.
Sidon: You know Link ate a rock roast one time, although I'm not sure of the circumstances but I think the Champion Daruk put him up to it.
Tulin: No way, wouldn't that brake his teeth?
Riju: Link has pulled off the impossible multiple times and eating a rock-
Yunobo in the background: Rock roasts are more than rocks!
Riju: Sorry, I stand corrected, still Link eating a rock roast shouldn't be a surprise.
Sidon: Speaking of surprises, we are getting near Hateno. Let us review the plan so we are on the same page. We are to go to the school and speak with the teacher and parents about bringing the kids to Lookout Landing.
Riju: Link had a message delivered letting them know we are coming so it should be simple.
Yunobo: Now I remember, these kids were important Zelda, I can't wait to see the look on her face.

When the four sages entered the village they received looks of surprise and wonder as many of the villagers never left. After meeting the kids they could see why Zelda took a liking to them, they were bright and inquisitive. They had several questions for Riju like what the Gerudo were like and if men were forbidden from entering their town, the kids were even more surprised that a random swordsman was the only exception to this long-standing rule. The parents were skeptical of this trip as they had heard the castle was dangerous and demanded to go with their kids. Reluctantly the four sages agreed as this meant the plans were changing, but it wasn't unexpected. The kids were excited to be leaving the village and even the apprehensive parents wanted a glimpse of the castle up close, a rare sight in these times. Along the way the kids became even more enamored by the sages and how every beast would flee from them.

Present Day

Kids: PRINCESS ZELDA!!
Zelda: So this was the surprise, it's so wonderful to see everyone again.
Kids: We made you a picture while you were away.
Zelda: Thank you, it's beautiful. Would you like to see some of the cool stuff we found here?
Kids: YESSS!
Sidon: I need to be heading back to Zoras Domain, goodbye for now.
Riju: Same for me, I hope to see you soon.
Tulin: Goodbye
Yunobo: See ya goro
Zelda: I can't thank you enough for this, I'll be by to see everyone as soon as I can.
The kids, Link, and Zelda wave bye as the sages depart
Zelda putting her arm around Link: I would like to try walking again, but I could still use your help.
Link: Anytime Zelda.
Parent I in the background: She's just as friendly as ever with the kids even though she's been gone a long time.
Parent II in the background: Yay, but who's this swordsman, he doesn't seem so special.
Parent III in the background: Probably a random traveler with a good sword.
Parent I in the background: But look at how the princess interacts with him, and I could have sworn I've seen him around her house before.
Parent IIII in the background: I haven't seen him before.
Zelda:(thought) They don't know everything Link's done for them since he woke up in the shrine of resurrection. I should say something, Link deserves recognition, more so than me.
Link: Don't worry about it, I'm not concerned with what they think.
Zelda: How did you know what I was thinking?
Link: And don't downplay everything you did, I never could have defeated Calamity Ganon or the Demon King without you. I have you back, that's all that matters to me, not titles or recognition. Also, you are easier to read than you think, now let's show these kids something cool.
Zelda: Again, thank you...for everything.