Chapter 34: Emissary from the Land of Honor

It was early morning and Link was working with Azu when Zelda rushed up to them saying a situation had developed. Ships had been spotted approaching from the south heading for Rist harbor. Sidon had sent Zora to investigate the ships and he reported the ships had a small force aboard. Link suggested they speak with Altaira to see if she had encountered them before and what she knew about them. Altaira examined a sketch of the ship's emblem, informing them that these ships belonged to the Kingdom of Nierva. Link pointed out that Altaira had spoken about them before saying they were honorable and trustworthy. Zelda relaxed a little deciding to let them land and hear what they have to say but did ask Link to stay alert. The next day the emissary and his entourage arrived at the Castle Town's main gate where Link and Zelda greeted them.

Kar: It is a pleasure to meet you, Your Highness, and this must be one of your servants.
Link facepalms
Zelda: He is my husband, Prince Link!
Kar: My deepest apologies. Your reputation made you seem...larger than life and I did not realize it was you.
Link: I would prefer to keep it that way, it can be useful at times.
Zelda: So what brings you here?
Kar: Yes, straight to business. The King of Nierva sends his regards and a shipment of supplies to aid your rebuilding, though it would seem they were unneeded. Still, the King would have you keep them for future endeavors.
Link: Your king's generosity is appreciated, but there must be more.
Kar: You are correct. Along with the supplies the King wishes to form an alliance but before that happens he wishes to evaluate your strength.
Zelda: You said you knew of our reputation.
Kar: We have heard of your reputation, but hearing is not enough, so I was sent as his emissary. If that is okay with you, I am a combat expert and have been instructed to test your strength, or more accurately your military strength.
Zelda: Link, what do you think?
Link: Well we have only just begun to rebuild our military, all personally trained by me, they could handle it. Then there is my apprentice who despite his young age is quite skilled. It would also allow us to see who we should appoint to the royal guard.
Zelda: It would let the Gerudo, Rito, Gorons, and Zora show off too and if everything goes well we will have another ally. Okay, give us time to gather everyone.
Kar: Works fine with me, I'm sure my people could use the rest to regain strength from the voyage.

Zelda sent word to the sages telling them the prospect of a new alliance had appeared and that resource had already been given, but they needed proof of Hyrule's strength. In her letter, Zelda explained that a tournament would held in the old coliseum and that they should bring their best. Link showed Kar and his men where they would stay while in Hyrule. Before Link left them to settle in Kar once again apologized for not addressing Link with his proper title. Link told Kar not to worry about it and that he had been through too much to care what he was called. A few days later the sages arrived at the coliseum with their own entourage. Kar's soldiers passed along with hushed whispers and snickering at the sight of the sages. Kar was embarrassed apologizing for his men's arrogance, Tulin felt insulted, Riju and Sidon were amused, and Yunobo didn't hear nor care what was said. First up were Tulin and the Rito warriors who were determined to wipe the smirk off the Niervan soldier's face. With skill and agility, the Rito dismantled the Niervan with precision. Next up was the Gerudo who estimated their opponents with an unbreakable defense. Similarly to the Rito, the Zora nimbly pierced their Niervan defenses. The Gorons faced no trouble, rolling through everything the soldiers threw at them. Leading the Hylian volunteers Captain Hoz organized them into formations that could adapt to any situation. Though the Niervan soldiers proved tough Link had trained the volunteers well and with Captain Hoz's guidance the Hylian forces proved victorious. While Kar applauded Hyrule's strength he questioned why Link, the legendary hero, didn't fight. Link said Hyrule's strength was not in one person but in its people as a collective. Kar found this notion similar to the one adopted by Nierva. All the same, Kar said he needed to see what Link was capable of. Link agreed to a one-on-one fight between himself and Kar. Kar was the strongest fighter in Nierva and he carried himself with confidence but stepping into the ring with Link he began to feel uneasy. Every time they clashed Link perfectly dodged and countered with his own lightning-fast attack he called flurry rush. just as the fight reached its climax an all too familiar horn rang out, the monsters were attacking again. The sages were quick to act rallying behind Link and ready to go on the offensive. Link summoned the full strength of his secret stone bolstering the sage's strength and together they made short work of the monsters even though there were lynels. 

Kar: Most impressive. When we fought I could feel an intimidating aura from you Prince Link, where does it come from?
Link: I conquered my fear and turned it into a weapon, courage is my shield, and the hero's will is my armor. Most importantly my ability strengthens my allies while weakening my enemy's resolve. But this power didn't come free from risk, still, the results were worth it.
Kar: Interesting, very interesting. I can see Hyrule is still plagued by monsters but your people's strength is unchallenged.
Zelda: Do you need to see more or have you seen enough?
Kar: I have seen plenty. The King gave me the power to approve or deny this alliance based on what I saw. Princess Zelda, Prince Link, you both carry yourselves with honor and serve your people rather than rule them. Yes, I spoke with your people, they hold you in higher regard. We, the Kingdom of Nierva, would be honored to call you our allies, may this be the beginning of a bountiful partnership for both our kingdoms.
Zelda and Kar stand aside to discuss the details of the alliance
Sidon: Link did I hear correctly, he addressed you as "Prince".
Link: It's a long story. The short version is Zelda wants me seen as her equal.
Sidon: As you should.
Link: I'm still not used to it, I was content being "the swordsman". But I'm getting used to being called Prince, slowly. We have something more troublesome to worry ourselves with than what I'm called.
Riju: Yes the monsters seem more coordinated, someone is controlling them and we need to find out who.

Link and the sages discussed who they believed was behind the monster attacks. After going back over the events leading to Ganondorf's destruction Link was certain that it was someone or something other than Ganondorf that was controlling them now. Later Zelda joined the discussion and agreed with Link it had to be someone different though she had another matter on her mind. With Hyrule as a whole stabilizing, there was little need for the sages to continue meeting on a monthly basis so Zelda proposed a different idea. As Riju and Sidon were leaders and Yunobo was the most influential Goron, Zelda suggested they send someone to represent them and their people. Tulin was already appointed by his father Teba to represent the Rito so this change would mean he would spend more time away from Rito Village, a prospect he much liked.