Chapter 2: Hidden Blades at Nightfall

Zelda spent the day showing the kids everything that had been discovered in and around the castle. The kids were enamored with the size of the castle as they had only seen it from a distance. While the castle was still in a crumbling state work had been done to rebuild Castle Town. Old timbers and shattered bricks had been cleared away leaving clean foundations for the reconstruction. The walls that had remained standing were being torn down as their integrity was uncertain. In the center of Castle Town were two square blocks with "In memory of King Rauru and Queen Sonia" inscribed on them.

Kids: What are these blocks for
Zelda: These will be the base for statues of the first King and Queen of Hyrule.
Kids: I wonder what they were like?
Zelda: They were brave and kind, they loved their people and gave everything to protect them.
Kids: That sounds like you!
Zelda: Huh?
Kids: You held back the calamity protecting us, and you've always been kind to us.
Zelda: That's nice of you to say, but I was only one piece of the puzzle, the champions, sages, and the Hero of Hyrule fought hard too.
Kids: I wonder what the Hero was like, wish I could meet him.
Zelda looking at Link: The Hero is too humble to bring attention to himself, sometimes the Princess has to call him out. Do you want to tell them, or should I?
Link smiling: You win. You have met the Hero before.
Kids: We have, when?
Link: When you wanted proof of the first calamity, and standing here now.
The kids looked at Link with wonder while the parents slowly connected the dots
Link: It's getting late, I had extra beds thrown together. It's not much but is better than sleeping on the cold ground.
Kids: One more question, if you are the hero who fought alongside the champions and the princess, why didn't you say so?
Link staring into the sky: Because I didn't fight for a title or prestige. I fought for the people of Hyrule and to avenge my fallen friends and family.
Link looking back to Zelda: I fought to free the princess who was ready to give up everything in my defense. I don't need recognition, I have something much better.

Everyone returned to Lookout Landing where just as Link said bedding had been prepared for everyone. Zelda got a little excited seeing that a bed had been prepared for her outside of the shelter so she could see the moon and stars, just as she wished. But all was not well as Link was distracted by a group of travelers entering Lookout Landing. After Zelda fell asleep Link motioned to Purah who was on the balcony to come down and have a word. Link asked Purah to pass the word to the guards to stay on alert and to keep an eye on the travelers who just arrived. Purah, not understanding Link's suspicion, passed along his message knowing Link's warrior instincts are sharper than any other. The travelers noticed this and knew their cover had been blown but this did not dissuade them from their goal. They were no normal travelers, they were Yiga assassins here for the life of Princess Zelda and her loyal swordsman. Swiftly they incapacitated the guards at Lookout Landing leaving Link alone to defend Zelda, the kids, and the parents.

Link: EVERYONE GET BEHIND ME, NOW!!
Zelda: Do as he says, everything will be okay.
Yiga assassin: Yes princess, lie to them, we won't be leaving till we've spilled your blood, and anyone who stands in the way will meet the same fate.
Yiga assassin: One strong swordsman won't be able to save all of you.
Kids: We won't let you harm Princess Zelda.
Yiga assassins laugh as they approach the group
Yiga assassin: Let? Foolish children, you should have stayed in Hateno. You could save them princess if you just let us kill yo-

With a swift first strike Link plunged the master sword into the cocky Yiga assassin. Link's fury was evident and with everyone being threatened he wouldn't be merciful. Zelda tried to shield the eyes of the kids knowing what was about to happen but they forced a peak. With superior skill and speed Link moved through the ranks of the Yiga assassins but never ventured far from Zelda. Bow and arrow, sword and shield, spear and club, Link used everything around him. The last Yiga blademaster seeing an opportunity launched an earthquake attack towards Zelda and the people behind her. Unfazed, putting every bit of his strength behind his fists Link launched his earthquake attack intercepting and sending the Yiga blademaster through the wall head first. Twenty Yiga attacked Lookout Landing, and zero were left to return to their secluded desert hideout.

Link: Is everyone okay, is anyone hurt?
Zelda: I don't think so, how are the guards?
Link kneeling near a group of guards: Unconscious but mostly unharmed.
The door to Purah's room slams open as she stands there with an experimental Shikah/Zonai cannon
Purah: Alraigh Yiga, check it!
Link: Everything is okay now, can you and Josha give me a hand waking the guards?
Josha: You took down all of them, alone, the stories don't do you justice.
Link looking at the kids and parents: This isn't exactly what I had hoped would happen, I must apologize. It was my idea to invite you here in doing seemingly put your lives at risk, I'm sor-
Kids: You were amazing. I bet you are the best fighter. You're so strong.
One kid walks up to Link and kneels
Kid: This is a bold request Sir, but will you please train me to fight like you so that I too can fight for my friends and family like you do?
Link standing him up: Let me get a good look at you, you have a strong will. Tell you what, return to Hateno to learn everything you can, and when you are strong enough I will train you to be the best fighter YOU can be.

In the morning Link and Zelda saw the kids off as the monster control crew escorted them back to Hateno. Link didn't think the parting would be so hard but like Zelda, he grew an attachment to these kids, they were Hyrule's future.

Zelda: They look up to you now.
Link: I look forward to seeing what they will do.
Zelda: There is much to do, but finally I feel like myself in body and mind, I owe that to you and the sages. But on the topic of things to do, I want to give you something you lost when your arm was healed.

Zelda grabbing Links off hand pours the power of her time stone into it, no illations or echoes, just a bond between the princess and her swordsman. From this bond, a ring appears with one symbol inscribed on it, time.