Chapter 25: Sky's Request

After liberating a few ships Link returned to Lookout Landing where he and Zelda started their trek to Tarrey Town. While staying at the Woodland Stable Sky approached Link in his sleep making an unusual request. Wishing to see the Master Sword again and speak to Fi Sky asked Link if they could make a quick stop. Sky had been feeling a pull to the Master Sword, a pull Link had not felt which puzzled him. In the morning Link told Zelda about this and as they had time and were close to the Korok Forest they agreed to make a small detour to help Sky. As they walked Link pondered why the Master Sword called out to Sky specifically. Had it sensed that Sky had manifested as Link's avatar or was it something deeper? Entering the clearing Link summoned Sky who walked forward stopping just short of the Master Sword. Peering from beneath his brows the Great Deku Tree greeted the trio finding Sky's appearance peculiar.

Deku Tree: I haven't seen your face before yet I sense you know who I am.
Sky: Yes, Great Deku Tree, I know of you and must thank you for looking over my friend.
Deku Tree: You speak of the Master Sword as a friend and I sense you are a being much older than I am. Ah, it makes sense now you are the hero the sword spoke of. In my many years communing with the sword I have heard of your deeds and the curse placed on you and the goddess.
Zelda: Curse, what curse?
Deku Tree: The first demon king, Demise, cursed the goddess's bloodline and the spirit of the first hero to forever battle a reincarnation of Demise's hatred. At least this is what I have been told by the Master Sword's spirit.
Sky: I take it she has not taken form herself, tragic.
Link: She?
Sky: The spirit in the Master Sword is called Fi, I'm surprised you didn't know her name.
Link: She doesn't speak much of herself.
Sky: Again tragic. It was hard to say goodbye, I had grown accustomed to having her around despite how short our time was together.
Deku Tree: The sword has been restless as of late, perhaps she wishes to speak to you again.
Link: Sky, do you know why I didn't feel the Master Sword call when we share the same spirit? 
Sky: I'm not entirely sure why you didn't feel it. Your essence is made up of a combination of my spirit and your spirit. Perhaps Fi called out to the piece of you that is my reincarnation, the piece of your spirit that is me.
Deku Tree: The truth is murky even to me, but this theory is sound, the Master Sword has words for you alone. Go on Hero of the Sky, speak to your old friend. 

Placing his hand on the hilt Sky smiled feeling its familiar grip. The sword began to flash rhythmically as a beeping filled the air but only Sky heard what Fi had to say.  To Link and Zelda, it was like watching a conversation through a window, visible but unheard. If Sky could still cry he would, he never expected to have a reunion with Fi. With a blue flash, Sky vanished but Link could not feel his presence. Zelda suspected since Sky was a spirit he was able to enter into the sword getting some privacy.

Fi: Master Link, I had not calculated a chance for us to meet again like this.
Sky: I had never expected to see you again but I am grateful for the chance.
Fi: I am unsure why I had awakened as I was to remain in an eternal slumber. Master Link, do you know why?
Sky: There was a new Demon King, perhaps he was strong enough to stir you from your slumber.
Fi: Regrettably I was unable to aid your current reincarnation the same way I aided you, though it would seem my assistance was unneeded. Could you tell me what happened after our partnership was concluded?
Sky: I remained on the surface with Zelda, or that would be Hylia to you. Many of those in Skyloft joined us and a small town formed. 
Fi: I did not mention it to you at the time but I had sensed a change in Hylia when you reunited with the spirit maiden Zelda those many years ago. It was as if a piece of Zelda had become attached to Hylia.
Sky: We started a family together, and from what I have seen our descendant went on to start a kingdom.
Fi: That would explain it then, Zelda's love for you merged with Hylia. I am unsure what I am feeling but I think it's happiness, not for myself but for you and the goddess, it is an unusual feeling.
Sky: What else would you like to know?
Fi: Nothing more, you have answered what I wish to know. Master Link I detect you have questions for me.
Sky: When the Master Sword was destroyed what happened to you?
Fi: I remained unharmed, much like my current master. Our vessel was broken but the core of who we are remained untouched.
Sky: That is a relief, it's good to know you are safe. I suppose it's time for us to part again, the Link and Zelda of this era still have work to do.
Fi: Go well master Link, know I will continue to look after your reincarnates.

With a second blue flash of light, Sky returned feeling satisfaction and sadness. Sky said one last goodbye and the sword beeped one last time in response. After bidding the Great Deku Tree farewell Link and Zelda left for the nearly completed harbor at Rist Peninsula in preparation to see the ships off. After dropping Zelda off at their house in Tarrey Town Link made his way to Death Mountain caves where he knew an Igneo Talus could be found. Zelda was glad Link was beginning to relax again. She believed Sky being capable of guarding her in Link's absence was a big part of that, something Zelda was grateful for. Zelda continued to work on her secret project determined to finish it before the boats left. After a couple of days Link had collected what he needed and with a few Gorons' help transported them to the fisheries. Zelda had asked Link to be on the lookout for Topaz while he was recovering the Igneo Talus hearts. As these ships were to represent the new Hyrule Zelda wanted to equip the flag with the Royal Crest. Zelda had the main portion of the Royal Crest embroidered but she wanted the triforce pattern to shimmer in the sun and thus required small pieces of Topaz. Luckily Link was able to find a few good pieces of Topaz and on returning saw what Zelda had been working on. With Rhondson's assistance, Zelda cut the gemstones and incorporated them into the flag.