Chapter 33: Shattered Crown

Rocks and rubble had shattered the unrepairable crown once worn by Zelda's father. Though she had long believed the crown to be gone knowing it was destroyed dispirited Zelda and Link who were feeling shame. In her mind, Zelda could hear Ganondorf's maniacal laughter taunting her from the beyond. To Link this was a reminder of his perceived failure, the kingdom he swore to protect was shattered just like the crown. But like everything that had assailed them the uncovering of the broken crown set a fire in the hearts, and Link had an idea where to begin.

Link: I know this is hard but-.
Zelda: We need to move past this? Yes I agree, still this hurts.
Link: We are basically rebuilding Hyrule from scratch, perhaps a new crown is needed. Not just physically but emotionally and symbolically.
Zelda: That sounds good but what would you suggest?
Link: I um...still have pieces of horn from your Light Dragon form. I know it sounds weird but perhaps we could use them to remake the crown.
Zelda: You still have pieces of my dragon horns, that's a surprise.
Link: Well I have pieces of each of the other dragons' horns, but yours were always more precious to me.
Zelda: That's both weird and sweet, but those horns might be useful. Could I see what my horns looked like?
Link hands a shard of the light dragon's horns
Zelda: Interesting, It's such a lovely shade of blue.
Link: It's glowing brighter when you hold it, the shard must be resinating with your light.
Zelda: I thought your suggestion was a bit out there at first but now I kind of like it.
Link: Really? I wasn't sure how you would take it.
Zelda: These shards will be a reminder to me, not just of the pain of my sacrifice, but of Rauru and Sonia's love. If it wasn't for you three I would still be the Light Dragon.
Link: I would never stop searching for a way to bring you back.
Zelda: I know you would, I can always depend on you. If we use these horns for my crown what will we use for yours? When my mother passed father set his crown aside and took up her crown but it would seem his original is missing too.
Link: I had not thought about it.
Zelda: (giggles)You only thought about making sure I still had a crown, that's just like you. Okay, how about we use shards from Farosh's horn for your crown, he is associated with courage.
Link: Sounds good to me, perhaps Isha can help. 

Having packed their bags Link and Zelda mounted their horses and rode off to Gerudo Town. Before going Link and Zelda left their apprentices a few tasks to complete. Karin was instructed to speak with the merchants and guards in Castle Town to get a consensus on what was needed and how to improve their conditions. Azu was tasked with physical conditioning and improving his use of the earthwake technique. During their trip, Zelda examined the shard of the light dragon's horn but her mind wandered. Clenching the shard tightly Zelda reflected on every decision she had made up to this point. Though she accepted some things had to be, Zelda still believed if she had made different decisions things could have turned out better. Coming out of her stupor Zelda refocused on their path forward. Hateno and Lurelin were prospering more than they had in the past decade with Tarrey Town not too far behind. Castle Town had become the new trading hub of the new Hyrule, possibly surpassing its old self. At their previous meeting, the sages shared that their people had seen increased business and tourism. It would still be years before Hyrule returned to its former glory but it was on the right path with Zelda leading the way with Link by her side. Arriving in Gerudo Town they first meet with Riju who was in a bit of a predicament. 

Riju: I have been searching for a way to maintain our traditions but not squander any growth.
Zelda: Have you considered establishing an open area outside of Gerudo Town?
Riju: What do you mean?
Zelda: A place under Gerudo control but not part of Gerudo Town, like Kara Kara Bazaar.
Riju: I had thought about putting more into Kara Kara but wasn't sure if it was a good idea, till now.
Zelda: If you need help or resources let us know, we would be happy to help.
Riju: Thank you for offering and I may take you up on that at another time but I think we can handle it. However, I might need to ask Yunobo if he could send a few miners so we can acquire enough sandstone. But enough about me what brings you and Link here, it's a long way just to chat.
Zelda: Hudson recently uncovered the crown once worn by my father, it is broken and most likely unrepairable.
Riju: How awful.
Link: We are hoping Isha is willing to construct two new crowns.
Riju: I'm sure Isha would love to make the new crowns for the Princess and Prince of Hyrule. Yes even out here I have heard what your people call you Link and with everything you have done for not just Hyrule but for all of us I would say the title is warranted.
Zelda: See even Riju agrees, he was so hesitant to accept the title.

Riju was curious about what Zelda had in mind and was surprised to see the light dragon horn shard. Zelda wanted to keep the design of the original crown but the wings of the crest would be made from the dragon horns which already possessed a wing-like appearance. Isha agreed to make the crowns and carefully accepted the materials from Link trying not to get shocked by Farosh's horn shard. Link and Zelda stayed the night in Gerudo Town with Zelda helping Riju with planning Kara Kara Bazaar's expansion. The following day Link and Zelda departed wishing Riju luck with her endeavors and to send word if she needed help. On the return trip, Zelda was a little more upbeat and cheerful which pleased Link to see. Reaching Castle Town they found Azu and Karin asleep at the gate. Purah had watched over them in Link and Zelda's absence saying after completing their task they waited by the gate for their return. Link and Zelda carried their young apprentices to their beds before retiring to their own.