Chapter 4: Danger In The Depths

Morning came bright and refreshing after the pain of the previous night. While Link was checking their packs the Zora brought them food for their return trip. Zelda was apprehensive as she felt it was too much but she remembered Sidon's words from the previous day and graciously accepted. The Zora also brought a message from Sidon who wished to speak with Link before he departs.

Sidon: Before you go, I'd like you to take this, you can't be a swordsman without a sword.
Link: Thank you, I'll be sure to take care of it.
Sidon: I'm sure you will, but it's yours to keep. This is more to ease my mind, I know you can use anything to fight but I would prefer you have a sword.
Link: Regardless, thank you, my friend.
Sidon: I wish you safe travels as you go back to Lookout Landing and that you return to us again.
Zelda: We look forward to seeing everyone again.

It took a full day, but Link and Zelda finally returned to Lookout Landing. The first thing Link did was talk with Josha and a recently returned Robbie about the depths and if they had discovered anything about a sword. Sadly they had no new info, reinforcing Link's suspension that his new sword will be one he'll have to make. But until a full search could be done nothing can be certain. Luckily for Link and Zelda a pulley system has just been finished on the nearest chasm. While it was just a platform attached to a rope and pulley it made underground exploration easier and safer than it was before. And after a brief rest on the surface, Link and Zelda eagerly make their way down.

Link: Incredible, they assembled this so quickly.
Lift Operator: It was pretty simple and we have had more hands since Hudson Construction has sent more people.
Zelda: Still it's remarkable, we have only been gone a few days.
Lift Operator: All thanks to Hudson Construction. Ah, hang on to something, the landing is a bit rough.
Zelda, Link, and the Lift Operator land in the depths.
Lift Operator: A small base camp has been set up by the lightroot just ahead. I think all the researchers have returned to the surface already, though there should still be supplies. I'll be waiting here for your return.

Link and Zelda gather extra supplies and depart towards the abandoned central mine, if anyone would know about an old blade made of zonite the Zonai constructs would know.

Zelda: Link, the other night I heard you mumbling in your sleep, you sounded fearful. Are you okay, it's just I've never heard you like that.
Link: I'm okay now, the lost woods just did a number on me and it took a bit to get over it.
Link:(Thought) Besides I have something more important on my mind, something even more important than this sword we are searching for.
Zelda: Do you have any idea what the sword looks like?
Link: Nothing definite, but I have an idea.
Zelda: At least we're not starting from 0 then.
Link: Shhhh, did you hear that?
Zelda: No, what did you hear?
Link: Sounded like footsteps.

With a flash of light and an earthshaking explosion, stones begin to fall from the roof of the depths. With swift movement Link and Zelda reach out to freeze the rocks in their place. With a second burst of light, more rocks begin to fall. Link realizing they wouldn't be able to catch these dived towards Zelda pushing her out of the way of the rocks, but Link wasn't so lucky. Link caught several rocks on the head knocking him unconscious.

Zelda: No no no no no, please don't be dead!
Zelda checks Link for a pulse
Zelda: Thank Hylia, you're alright, but this head wound doesn't look good. Link can you say something?
Link mumbles incoherently
Zelda: Looks like you're out of it, the best I can do is patch you up.
Zelda:(thought) Was this an accident, or an attack?
Zelda sees a figure running toward her and Link
Researcher: Princess! Are you alright?
Zelda: I'm fine but Link's unconscious. Were you the one who set off those explosives?
Researcher: I'm afraid so, I was trying to clear some debris but I'm no good with a bow.
Zelda: How are you with starting fires?
Zelda hands the researcher wood and flint
Researcher: No problem.
Zelda: So, what were you looking for?
Researcher: Ancient schematics, something about an old blade.
Zelda: An old blade?
Researcher: What would bring the princess and her swordsman down here?
Zelda: An old sword...wait what made you think there was a schematic for an old sword down here?
Researcher: Rumors. You know your swordsman has caused us problems, got my brother killed.
Zelda: What do you mean "got your brother killed"? Wait...the lift operator said the other researchers had already returned to the surface.
Zelda grabs Link's sword taking a defensive posture
Researcher: So you saw through my disguise. Yes, we have come for you again and your little swordsman can't defend you this time.
The researcher breaks his disguise revealing his yiga attire. Rushing towards Zelda the yiga assassin is repelled.
Yiga assassin: How, how did stop me?
Zelda: I may not be as good as Link, but I've learned quite a bit from watching him. Enough to save me in a pinch
Yiga assassin: Well it won't do you any good, you'll falter any minute now.
Zelda: Don't be so certain.

Zelda traded blows for what seemed like hours with the Yiga assassin. Despite her bravery, Zelda was beginning to understand how important a warrior's instinct is in a fight. Even though she was able to avoid direct hits, Zelda was beginning to falter just like the assassin predicted.

Yiga assassin: You are good with a sword I'll give you that, but not good enough.
Zelda: I'm not dead yet.
Yiga assassin: You will be, perhaps if you hadn't raised a sword in defense your death would be painless. Now come and die!
Quickly grappling the yiga assassin from behind Link emerges from the darkness.
Link: Before attacking the princess you should have made sure I was dead.
Zelda: Link, you're awake.
Link: You did great, I'll take care of the rest.
Link, taking the Yiga's dagger, dispatches him
Link: (sigh)Remind me when we return to the surface to send word to Riju, it's time we put an end to the yiga.
Zelda a little disheartened: I wish there was another way, but they won't back down.
Link: Now, you tended to my wounds let me tend to yours.
Zelda sitting next to Link: Before he attacked, the Yiga assassin said something about an old blade schematic, perhaps that's what we're looking for.
Link: If it's the same, we need to find it first. But we should return to the surface so you can heal from your fight, you did great.
Zelda: I'm not as good as you though, but then I'm not the legendary swordsman. And no, let's find the schematic first, we can't let the yiga get their hands on it.

With both of their wounds treated, Link and Zelda make their way to the abandoned central mine. On arrival, the zonai construct pointed them to a pile of stones. This pile was the grave of a great weapons smith whose name was lost to time. In this grave lay a schematic for a sword unlike any other. The construct warned it would not be easy to fabricate this sword as the materials are difficult to work with.