Chapter 27: Sails of Hope

It took Zelda a few days to find her sea legs but she became accustomed to the rhythmic rocking though she missed the feeling of solid ground. But solid ground wasn't the only thing she was missing, Link was ever on her mind. To her surprise, She could still summon Sky but it wasn't the same. Similar to Link, Zelda busied herself with her work as a teacher and leader to try and stave off the longing. But every night she would find herself looking back in the direction she believed Hyrule to be. And though she didn't know it Link was doing the same, looking in what he believed to be her direction. After a few days of unintentionally isolating herself, Zelda began to join the crew at meal times sharing stories. 

Captain: Princess, I had heard rumors about what happened during the upheaval but I confess it's hard to believe.
Zelda: I can understand why. What exactly did you hear?
Captain: I heard that you traveled into the past to the time of Hyrule's founding and later turned into a dragon.
Zelda: Those rumors are true, I did travel into the past, and because desperation drove me to it, I took the form of a dragon.
First Mate: But how does one become a dragon?
Zelda: You see this stone, it's called a secret stone and all the sages have one. If I swallowed this I would become a dragon again. Doing so I would lose my mind, my heart, and my sense of being, also the transformation is painful.
Captain: It sounds horrible, but how did you manage to transform back?
Zelda: It wasn't any action of mine. It was because of Link and the spirit of the first King and Queen that I was transformed back, I don't think Link understands how it happened, and neither do I but I am immensely grateful to them.
First Mate: Unbelievable but if it's coming from you it must be true. I heard a funny rumor about Sir Link. He emptied a monster camp in nothing but his underpants and a stick
Zelda: I'm afraid that one is true too and I berated him for his recklessness. Enough about me and Link, I want to get to know about all of you.

The crew spoke about themselves, shared jokes, and gave Zelda a good idea of who they were. It was smooth sailing for the most part with only one storm that damaged the ship. The crew's respect for Zelda only grew during the storm as she did what she could to help even using her time powers to keep a crippled mast from crushing a crew member. When the ships arrived at Tamrle, King Darmuth was surprised Zelda would come herself to meet the refugees. Quickly greeting the king, Zelda got to work checking the injured and sick refugees providing the healing elixirs she and Link had made. The refugees were shocked that someone so young was leading Hyrule but they were even more surprised by Zelda's caring nature. Before leaving King Darmuth congratulated Zelda on her marriage and wished her a safe trip back to Hyrule. Zelda helped get everyone aboard along with what few belongings they had. During the long voyage back to Hyrule Zelda spoke with the refugees wishing to get to know them as best should could, though she regretted the fact that she would probably forget things. After speaking with a few groups a handful of leaders emerged. Though they weren't political or military leaders they were the ones to guide their scattered people to safety and spoke for them. Zelda gathered them to speak with them in private, or as private as they could get.

Zelda: I wanted to speak with you in private because the people look up to you, they will follow your lead, your example. When we get to Hyrule things won't be easy, much is still being rebuilt and hands to work are in short supply, and with a war to our northwest there is a possible threat to us. You may be asked to fight if it comes to that.
Jon: We understand, we did not expect this to be a free ride. It was good of you to meet us in person Your Highness. You also healed our sick and injured which was more than we ever could have expected.
Pirk: We can't thank you enough for the opportunity, for sheltering us. But we will do what we can to earn our keep.
Zelda: That is good to hear, I'm sorry for what you and your people have been through. I'm surprised refugees from both kingdoms could get along so well.
Keel: Our own kings had turned against us, turned us away when we sought help. We needed each other to survive, forcing any differences to be settled quickly. Hyrule will be our new home, I can't speak for everyone but I will gladly stand with everyone here in its defence.
Zelda: Hopefully it won't come to that.
Jon: Yes word of your victory over Tamrle's invasion and your new alliance with them had reached our people. "The Kingdome with an unbreakable will" is what Hyrule is known as now, at least back in Darul.
Pirk: It's the same story in Farmith.
Keel: "A people who can weather any storm, a princess as kind as she is powerful, and a legendary swordsman who is a force of nature." is what I heard.
Zelda: it's flattering to be known like that. "A legendary swordsman who is a force of nature." As long as I have known Link I have not heard a better description.
Pirk: I would like to meet this Link, he sounds impressive.
Jon: Impressive yes, but frightening too.
Zelda: I haven't been on the receiving end of his anger so I don't know what it's like but I can assure you he will stop at nothing to protect you. It's one of the many reasons I love him.

On the return trip, the weather remained calm with swift winds carrying the ships home. But the night before the ships were to land a blood moon covered the ocean red and Zelda knew the path to the castle had become dangerous, especially for a large group. Link too saw the blood moon and immediately road out to clear a path. As the ships pulled into the newly built harbor Zelda was surprised to see a lack of fighting, that was till she saw Link and she knew he had already cleared the area. Zelda and Link embraced each other tightly, forgetting they had company for a moment. After Link came down from his excitement he introduced himself. Jon, Pirk, and Keel stepped forward introducing themselves, addressing Link as "Prince Link" but before Link could correct them Zelda stopped him giving him a look that said, "We can talk about it later". Link conceded knowing the path back to Castle Town was still treacherous.