Chapter 40: A Servant's Throne

The transition to being parents wasn't as smooth as Link and Zelda first thought but in time they got into the routine of having no routine. Zelda wished she had Link's ability to go without sleep for days on end as their children didn't give them much rest. Looking at their children, a piece of Zelda remembered all the parental figures she lost and worried something might happen to her or Link. When she told Link of her fears, he paused momentarily before saying he had thought about it multiple times but believed that Hylia would reward their sacrifices and service with her protection, a line of thought Zelda found comfort in. One day, Link and Zelda received a visit from Addison, a member of Hudson Construction who had been left to work on the castle. 

Addison: I have come with information regarding the castle's reconstruction. While there is much left to clear and repair the main sanctum and a few bed chambers have been fully rebuilt.
Zelda: That is good news indeed.
Addison: Unless there is anything you need me for I will return to work.
Zelda: There is nothing, but please be careful up there I would hate for anything to happen to any of you.
Addison bows and returns to the castle
Link: I know that look all too well. Something is bothering you isn't there?
Zelda: I was thinking about what the people might think if I take the throne as if I'm still entitled to it. What do you think, how will they respond if we announce a coronation?
Link: They trust and care for you, if anything they are expecting a coronation soon. But that isn't the only thing, is it? You are confused about whether you want to take the throne, am I right?
Zelda: Spot on. I know people look to me for leadership ever since we expanded our reconstruction efforts but I don't know if that is what I want. I miss being a researcher and teacher, I'm beginning to feel like I was before the calamity, caged by duty.
Link: I know you have wanted to open a school for the children here in Castel Town, you could do both, be a leader and a teacher. Just know I can and will help you no matter what you decide. If you still doubt that the people would support you taking the throne you could have an anonymous note posted in every village and see how the people react.
Zelda: To be both a leader and a teacher is a lot of responsibility. Still with you, I think I, no we can do it, together as king and queen, servants to the people. And I do like the idea of an anonymous note, it would be good to see an unbiased opinion.

In secret, Link sent Sky with the anonymous note so no one would suspect it was his or Zelda's work. The reaction was almost instantaneous and explosive with an outcry of support for Zelda and, to his surprise, Link. Zelda was comforted knowing not only was she appreciated but that Link was too. Shortly afterward word was sent to all corners of Hyrule, after many years there would be a coronation and an oath from Zelda and Link to the people. That morning Zelda prepared everything necessary while Link tried his best to tend to their babies. Holding the crown that would very shortly be on her head Zelda began to feel anxious. It wasn't that she feared she was going against her people's will, the outcry of support remedied that concern. No, it was the weight of being a leader clashing with her desire to freely research and teach. Duty vs desire, the same anxiousness she felt long ago. However, things were different this time, Zelda had friends she could rely on and most importantly she had a supporting partner in Link. Looking up at the statue of Rauru, Sonia, and the goddess, Zelda smiled confidently that she could be both a leader and a teacher so long as she didn't try to do everything alone. Having prepared the little ones, Link made his way to meet up with Zelda carrying both children. As he walked Link too began looking back over how far he had come. A younger less experienced Link would never have imagined this would be his future. Husband to the princess, hero twice over, one of six sages, Link had come far however the swaddled babes in his arms were one of the best things to have happened to him. At one point in time, Link questioned if his parents would be proud of him given his failures but deep down he knew they were proud of him. The coronation was to take place beneath the statues in central Castle Town in the exact spot of Link and Zelda's wedding. As the morning gave way to noon people as far away as Lurelin arrived to see this historic occasion. Gathered once again the sages were present to show their support not as leaders or warriors but as friends. To free Link and Zelda up for the ceremony, Paya took care of little Sonia and Rauru, a task she underestimated though she raised to the challenge. When the ceremony commenced a tear came to Sidon's eye knowing how much Mipha would have wanted to be here. Even if she couldn't have Link, Mipha cared enough to let Link go and be with the one he truly loved and in this moment she would have supported Link and Zelda. Similarly, Riju, though she didn't know Urbosa, knew she would have given anything to see this. From what Riju had read in Urbosa's diary she knew Urbosa thought the world of Zelda viewing her as a daughter after the previous queen's passing. Know Zelda wanted to be for Zelda what Urbosa was to Zelda's mother. Regaining their composure Sidon and Riju stood by as Impa the sheikah elder approached bearing two crowns adorned with dragon horns.

Impa: Lisen closely people of Hyrule. Much time has passed since we had a coronation, and much has been taken from us in that time. But here and now stands two individuals who have poured every part of themselves into righting wrongs. A princess with the sacred blood of the goddess Hylia and a prince with the unbreakable spirit of the hero. If there is one who opposes the idea of these two ascending to Queen and King speak and let your voice be heard.
No one speaks
Impa: It would seem you both are loved by your people. Come, Zelda, Link, kneel so I may adorn you with crowns.
Zelda and Link kneel and Impa places their crowns on their head
Impa: A princess who assumed the form of a dragon as a sacrifice to protect her people, past and present. A prince that the cold embrace of death and an all-corrupting evil couldn't keep from protecting his people. I, a servant of the goddess, crown you Queen Zelda and King Link, rise now and speak to your people.
Zelda: This is just the beginning for us. We do not claim the throne as rulers but as servants, serving you our people from the throne.
Link: When the darkness rears its ugly head again we and our descendants will rise to protect you at all cost.
Zelda: Though we will return to the castle during its final stages of reconstruction know we will always be with you. The house we had dwelled in during the castle's reconstruction will become a schoolhouse for the children of Castle Town.
Link: Both I and Queen Zelda will educate the next generations, sharing all we know you your children. 

Bowing to their people, Link and Zelda collected their kids and walked up to the castle. In the coming days, they moved into the castle and true to their word converted their Castle Town house into a schoolhouse. After settling into their new space Link and Zelda returned to their work finding that not much had changed for them. It wasn't long before Zelda started teaching at the new schoolhouse with Link filling in from time to time when she was unable. Late one night as their children slept Link and Zelda roamed out onto the adjacent balcony. Beneath the soft, silvery glow of the full moon, Link and Zelda embraced each other. They held each other tightly, seeking comfort and solace in their embrace. Their foreheads met in a gentle touch, a symbol of their unbreakable bond and unspoken understanding. At that moment, all was quiet and serene, as if the world had stopped turning just for them. They remained like that, lost in their own private world, until weariness caught up with them and they departed to their bed hand in hand.