Chapter 22: Letter to the Past

Over the coming weeks Link and the other sages wiped out the Yiga hideouts while Zelda with a handful of workers from Tamrle set out to replace the memories of them. In Tarrey Town Zelda opened up a new school for the kids, in Hateno they finished the construction of harbors in both Kitano Bay and Hateno Bay. But of all the Hylian settlement Lurelin Village saw the most renovation. Ever since Hyrule was acknowledged by the other kingdoms Lurelin had seen more tourism and had run into a problem, a lack of room. Bolson had already started work on a large inn and was ecstatic to have help, but was adamant that they had to follow his designs to the letter, saying this inn would be his crowning jewel. Since the construction team was familiar with the tasks at hand Zelda left them to do something she had wanted to do for a long time. Making the long trek to the Forgotten Temple she went to where she and Rauru had buried Sonia. To her surprise, there was a fresh Sundelion on top of a letter.

Zelda: Someone has been here recently. I wonder what is in this note?
Note: Dear Queen Sonia, I don't know if you or King Rauru can see this and maybe this is just to ease my mind, but I have much to thank you for. You were there for Zelda when she was lost in time and in the end, reversed her dragon transformation. You took her in as one of your own, showed her a mother's and father's love, and taught her how to use her powers. If I could have stepped in and saved you, even if it cost me my own life, I would, but fate deemed otherwise. I am indebted to you and have no way to properly repay. Years ago I made a vow to King Rhoam to protect Zelda and I have, to the best of my abelites, followed through on that promise. Soon I will be making a different vow, a vow of love to Zelda, but here and now I want to make a vow to you both. I vow to protect the kingdom you started and to stand side by side with Zelda to aid her in leading our people.
Zelda wipes away a tear
Note: You both were so supportive of each other and I aspire to be the same for Zelda. To hold her close when she's sad and encourage her happiness, to celebrate her success and stand by her in failure. I swear to you, Queen Sonia, King Rauru, before the statue of the goddess I will be these things for her. And to my love Zelda, I'm guessing you will come here to say your piece too. I can't promise everything will be perfect especially given everything that has happened to us. But what I can promise is I will always be with you, no matter what happens to us I will be by your side.
Zelda: If only they could have properly met you, Link.

Folding the note, Zelda placed it and the accompanying flower back on the grave. Sitting there Zelda wiped away another tear, she hadn't heard Link speak like that before and was touched to know Link made a vow to support her to Rauru and Sonia. Zelda wasn't sure if Link felt inadequate or was just doing what felt right, but she was having similar thoughts. Zelda desperately wanted to tell Rauru and Sonia she was getting married, and even more so she wanted to tell her father, mother, and the champions, but all that had been taken from her. Still, Zelda held her head high knowing she wasn't alone, she had friends she could depend on. Hoping Sonia and Rauru could hear her Zelda thanked them for everything they had done for her echoing Link's words. Having said her piece Zelda started her journey back to Lookout Landing ready for a soft bed after the long days she spent on horseback. It was early into the cold night when Zelda came riding in the west gate of Lookout Landing. Lowering down into the emergency shelter Zelda noticed everyone had taken up residence in Castle Town, everyone except Link who was lying in one of the beds. Setting her bag down Zelda crawled into the bed with him feeling his warmth. Link woke up when she did but instead of saying anything he put an arm around her as they both fell asleep. In the morning Link and Zelda checked in on Hudson's progress on Castle Towns Progress and the statue of the goddess. Hudson was pleased to say his people had finished rebuilding Castle Town including a new Cathedral of Hylia. As for the statue, it was complete but Hudson had accidentally sent away his movers to start work on the harbors. Link without hesitation used Ultrahand and lifted the statue in the air as if it was a feather. With Zelda and Hudson's guidance Link transported the statue and placed it perfectly centered behind the other two statues. Hudson then inquired when Zelda intended to restore the castle. He explained it would take a few years to get the debris cleared out and restoration would take longer. Zelda agreed work would have to begin soon but was curious about what Hudson had planned for Tarry Town. Hudson said he intended to return to Tarrey Town to complete work on the harbor and to be closer to Rhondson. After Hudson left, in front of the statue of Sonia and Rauru Zelda opened up about the letter she found.

Zelda: Link, I saw the letter you left for Sonia and Rauru.
Link: I thought you might.
Zelda: I thought it was sweet, but what made you write it?
Link: I saw what they meant to you and how they treated you as family. I can't repay them for that but I could make a vow to them.
Zelda: It's a nice thought, I hope they could see it. Though it would be nice to hear you speak like that sometimes.
Link: I'm not good at speaking like that, but I might be leaving you a few more letters.
Zelda: (laughs) I'd like that.

Later that day Zelda sent word out all across Hyrule saying Castle Town had been fully restored, news that was met with celebration. For years Hyrule Castle and Castle Town represented everything that was lost, a long fall from glory. Though the castle was still in ruins Castle Town's rebirth felt like a turning point, like things were improving. Over the coming weeks word spread of the finished harbors and trade routes opening up which was also received with celebrations. The plan to erase the idea of the Yiga was coming to fruition, and the time was soon approaching for the final message.