Chapter 37: The Hunt Ends

Link was a little more protective during the next few weeks, more than he had been in a long time. While Zelda understood why he was acting like this, it started bothering her. One day, Zelda finally told Link he needed to relax, that while she appreciated protection, she felt stifled. Blushing, Link apologized saying he didn't want anything to happen to her but if she was feeling stifled he would back off. Kissing him on the cheek Zelda thanked him and was about to meet with the representatives when Captain Hoz approached with news regarding the last of the Yiga and where they were hiding.

Captain Hoz: Good morning Your Highnesses I have news about the Yiga. It would appear as though there is only a very small force, no more than a handful but we can't be sure.
Link: Good job Captain Hoz, tell the troops they have done well.
Captain Hoz: Thank you, I will be sure to tell them.
Zelda: How are the soldiers recovering after the Yiga attack?
Captain Hoz: They are doing fine, some of them were on the scouting crew that brought this information.
Link: Did they find where the Yiga moved their hideout, or was it a chance encounter?
Captain Hoz: They found the hideout but did not attack as instructed by you.
Link: Good, we don't want them to scatter before we can attack them. 
Zelda: Don't tell anyone but Link and I think you should know. We are going to reinstate the Royal Guard.
Captain Hoz: Was that what the Colosseum fight was for?
Link: Yes and No. It was firstly to ally with Nierva as they only ally with strong kingdoms but we did want to use it to evaluate each of our soldiers' strength.
Zelda: But we have already chosen one individual, they will be leading the Royal Guard.
Link: That person is you Captain Hoz and we would like your input on who will become Royal Guards.
Captain Hoz: This is...quite the honor, I would be a fool to turn it down. I will make a list of who I believe to be fit for the job.
Link: Good, we will put them to a final test by attacking the last of the Yiga. Until then remember don't tell anyone.

After Captain Hoz left Zelda told Link she was coming this time and while Link didn't like the idea he wasn't going to try to stop her this time, especially after what happened last time. The next day Captain Hoz presented them with a list of names most of which Link had already approved of. Gathering everyone needed Link and Zelda explained they were going after the Yiga to crush what remained of them. Plunging into darkness, Link's anxiety rose with the impending threat but it was softened by Zelda's confidence. Slowly Link led the group towards the last known location of the Yiga. Spotting a light in the distance Link called for a halt while he and Zelda scouted the situation. Piering over the edge of a rock outcropping Link spotted seven Yiga assassins arguing over something but was unable to make out what they were saying. Signaling the soldiers to follow Link and Zelda crept closer eventually getting close enough to hear what was being said.

Yiga Assassin: Face it Master Kohga is dead at the hands of the swordsman, our last leader fell to the swordsman's rage.
Yiga Blademaster: You forget we almost killed his precious princess.
Yiga Assassin: Yeah, almost. Except almost wasn't enough and now his wrath is breathing down our necks.
Yiag Researcher: I have to agree with him sir, all we have done is bring on the swordsman's anger and we have nothing to defend ourselves with.
Yiga Blademaster: You are all cowards!
Yiga Researcher: Cowards, are you serious?!
Yiga Assassin: Do I need to remind you what happened to the Demon King? The swordsman has only become stronger since then and the princess isn't helpless in his absence, We don't stand a chance. I had contemplated leaving the clan before but after my brother's death I made my decision, I'm leaving.
Yiga Researcher: Me too!
Captain Hoz approaches Link and Zelda
Captain Hoz: Why don't we attack now while they are fractured?
Link: I would love nothing more to make them pay, however.
Captain Hoz: However?
Zelda: Living in fear is more than enough punishment for them, they have seen their error.
Link: But for those that remain we will show no mercy.

After a small skirmish over half of the remaining Yiga were dead or vanished which pleased Link to see. Jumping from the shadows Link ignited his secret stone calling forth his full strength with Zelda and the soldiers quickly joining him. Though he could quickly deal with those that remained Link still wanted to see how the royal guard candidates would do. To Link and Zelda's satisfaction, they did well. Despite not being as strong or capable as Link the soldiers made short work of the remaining Yiga though Link made sure he was the one to take down the boastful Blademaster. Though it looked like they had won Link was confident that the Yiga would return at some point but for now, believed they were gone. Upon returning to Castel Town Link and Zelda brought them before the statue of the first king and queen. 

Link: You all have done well today in your defense of this kingdom.
Zelda: As such we have decided on your standing within Hyrule's new military.
Link: The fight today was the last test. Should you accept it you are all members of the new Royal Guard.
The soldiers shout in celebration
Zelda: I guess we have our answer then. We will arrange armor and weapons for your new posting.
Captain Hoz: But it will be up to you to maintain your armor and weapons.
Link: One more thing, Captain Hoz will continue to be your commander as he is now the Captain of the Royal Guard.

After Zelda got the Royal Guards' measurements, Link sent Karin and Azu back to Hateno to provide Cece with the number of uniforms and the measurements. Since it would take Cece time to make all the uniforms Link and Zelda told Azu and Karin to relax and visit their family and friends. To make their trip quicker Link had a surprise he had been working on in secret with one of the farmers near Castle Town. Link brought two young horses with brown coats for Azu and Karin telling them they were a gift from him and Zelda. The horses were not much bigger than ponies but since Azu and Karin were still children the horses were the perfect height. Placing his head on his horse's snout Azu called it Vin. Karin paused for a moment watching her horse eagerly pace around with excitement eventually deciding to call it Thunder. After registering their horses Azu and Karin rode off excited about returning to Hateno even if it was just to visit. While they were gone Link worked day and night to make weapons and shields fitting for the Royal Guards. It wasn't long after Link finished that Azu and Karin returned looking refreshed, clearly feeling the benefits of visiting home. After giving them their gear Zelda swore in the Royal Guard with Link explaining in full their duties. While the regular forces would patrol the kingdom their duties were to defend the royal family and Castle Town if necessary. For Link, this was a moment of pride as a former Royal Guard, seeing another piece of Hyrule restored.